Chapter Fourteen

Dedicated to PenguinWizard03 who is always so sweet and makes me smile!
~~~

Rose did not see Tristan the next day, the day after, nor the day after that, and though she struggled to admit it to herself, she missed him greatly. Every time a tall man walked past in the distance her heart grew hopeful, only to be dashed when she realised it was not him. She missed spending time with him, she missed talking to him, she missed having his undivided attention. She was being silly; it had only been three days. To this madness there could be only one explanation.

She had developed a terrible, wonderful liking for the Prince. An infatuation, an attraction. She could not go a few hours without thinking about him and the way he smiled at her at least once.

Rose banged her head on the table she was seated by. Stupid, she thought miserably to herself. Stupid, stupid, stupid, she told herself as she began repetitively thumping her head onto the wood. How could I fall for the Prince when I tried so hard not to? She sighed deeply as she rested her head on the table. She was in trouble now. The Prince and a servant, the idea was so fanciful she almost laughed. He likes spending time with me though, Rose tried to comfort herself. He must like me at least a little bit, else he would not talk to me. Rose frowned. Was Tristan fond of her, too? Was this a good or bad thing? What would he do if he discovered how Rose felt? Rose sighed again and woefully banged her head once more.

"What are you doing?" Rose looked up to see Mistress Eudora staring at her curiously with raised eyebrows and humour in her eyes. She looked as though she was holding back a laugh. Rose felt her cheeks warm as she blushed, embarrassed.

"Mistress Eudora! I was just... well, you see... there was the table, and - that is to say, the table was here... but, of course, I," Rose babbled unwittingly, trailing off as she realised how foolish she sounded. Mistress Eudora stared at her in confusion. Her blank face abruptly turned into one of amusement. She laughed heartily to herself for a moment as Rose sat there in shame.

"Your forehead is turning red, perhaps you have bruised it," Mistress Eudora said between her laughter. Rose immediately raised her hand to feel her forehead. It did feel a little sore. Mistress Eudora chuckled at her embarrassment. "How have you been, my dear?" Mistress Eudora asked as she sat next to Rose. They were by a table outside under the shade of a tree. Rose smiled softly at Mistress Eudora.

"I have been well. Princess Suzanna is very kind, though I have missed spending time with you and the other servants," Rose answered.

"Well you are welcome to help with the chores anytime," Mistress Eudora chuckled. Rose giggled with her.

"I thank you. Perhaps I shall."

"But really, Rose," Mistress Eudora said, suddenly serious. "What were you doing? Are you okay?"

"I am okay, Mistress," Rose mumbled, averting her eyes. "I just have a lot on my mind."

"What is worrying you, child?"

"I am... in a situation where I cannot see a solution," Rose summarised.

"How very cryptic," Mistress Eudora said with another chuckle.

"I am sorry; I do not mean to be rude."

"It is not rude; all people are entitled to have their own secrets. You do not have to share your thoughts with anyone if you do not wish it."

"Mistress Eudora?" Rose said after a minute.

"Yes?"

"Will you pray for me?" She asked timidly.

"Aye, of course I will." Mistress Eudora shuffled over on the seat and took Rose's hand in her own. "Dear Lord, I pray for Rose, that you will be with her and help guide her. You know her thoughts, you know her heart, and you know her dreams. You are the God who makes the impossible possible and who works miracles. I pray for whatever situation it is that Rose is struggling with, that you will make her path clear and take away her fears. In Jesus name, Amen," Mistress Eudora prayed. Mistress Eudora squeezed Rose's hand gently and then let go.