Chapter Twenty-Five

Whaaaaaat?!
Another chapter only 24 hours after the last one?
I totally got in the 'zone' and went on a huge writing spree.
Enjoy!
Xx Divine Romance
~~~

"Tristan!" Tristan ignored the call and kept marching away. "Tristan, slow down!" He kept walking. A hand on his shoulder pulled him to a sudden halt. It was Samuel, breathing heavily and staring at him with wide eyes. "Where are you going?"

"I do not know. Away," he murmured.

"You cannot just leave her here!"

"I am confused, leave me be," Tristan ordered. His emotions were a tangled jumble that made no sense to him.

"There is nothing to be confused about! Rose was clearly hurting to say those words. I cannot believe you would even think for a second that perhaps she was telling the truth!"

"She said it all so calmly, Samuel. As if it was nothing to reject my heart and send me away," Tristan finally said. "How could she do that if it was a lie?"

"Would you not do the same to protect someone you love?"

"Break their heart?" Tristan asked dubiously.

"No! All I know is that Eliad is a cunning master of deceit. You do not know what he has threatened Rose with. Do you truly believe that everything that has happened between you was a lie? Did you not see her expression when you started to leave? Look back, remember, and tell me that she feels nothing for you."

"If everything she said was a lie, then Eliad had to have known that we were coming. How could he have known such a thing?" Tristan rebutted.

"We do not know much about these woods. Perhaps he has spies or ways to see through the trees," Samuel suggested.

Tristan frowned. He wanted to believe, so badly, that Rose had lied. But his heart ached as he recalled her rejection and his stomach seemed to burn as he remembered the cold light in her eyes. His thoughts drifted to her expression as he left. Her eyes were full of unshed tears. He remembered her whispering 'run' as he had tried to embrace her.

His hand went to his chest as he thought. Something hard brushed against his palm and he immediately realised it was the necklace Rose had given him. The necklace. Rose had not been lying when she had given him the gift - she had been vulnerable and hopeful. He recalled the beautiful expression on her face as she handed it to him. Then the way she had told him she loved him at the library during the ball. How they had danced together so many times with eyes only for one another. Their love was true, and in that moment Tristan realised it for himself.

"What a fool I am," Tristan muttered quietly. "To so easily doubt her love yet so readily believe her rejection."

Samuel smiled.

"I have to go back for her," Tristan declared, turning on his heel. "I have to beg her forgiveness for even considering her words - for leaving her there."

"No, Tristan, wait," Samuel said, his hand pressed against Tristan's chest to stop him walking. "It is far too dangerous. Eliad clearly has a way to know when we are coming, and he evidently has a way to control Rose. We do not know what we may be walking into. We have to think about this carefully and prepare a plan, else you could lose your life."

"She will think I left her there - she will think I do not care for her anymore," Tristan moaned.

"I will go back to her," a new voice declared simply. Tristan turned around to see the knight William standing sombrely to the side. "One has less chance of being discovered than many. If I can find a way to rescue her without being seen, then I shall, Your Highness."