Chapter 24: Persistent Devon

A constant beeping radiates in Braden's ear, opening his eyes and turning off Shelby's alarm. He looks over, not seeing her in the bed. Standing up, he makes his way downstairs and finding Shelby curled up on the couch. He sits down, sliding his hand on her back.

          "Babe?" he softly pats her back.

          "Hmm?" Shelby mumbles, shifting, rolling onto her back a little bit.

          "It's six fifteen," Braden yawns.

          Shelby stretches, a red line down her cheek from the edge of the cushion.

          "What are you doing down here?"

          "Sleeping," she sits up on her elbows.

          "Our bed is way more comfortable than this couch."

          "It's a pretty comfy couch," she smiles kissing his cheek and getting up to go change. After watching her go upstairs, Braden walks to the kitchen to make himself a bowl of cereal.

           Twenty minutes later, Shelby comes down with her hair braided, wearing dark navy scrubs with a pink headband.

          "You want me to make you something to eat?"

          "No thanks," grabbing a water bottle. "See you later?" she kisses his cheek.

          "Love you," he watches her.

          "Love you too."

          Getting to work and putting all her stuff in her locker, she walks out on the floor.

          "Hey you look rough," a fellow nurse walks up. "You feel okay?"

          "Thanks," Shelby smirks. "Just what I want to hear, I'm fine."

           "Rough night?"

          "Not at all. I'm fine."

           "Okay," the nurse smiles. "Devon's been asking about you."

          Sighing, she grabs his chart and walks into his room. "Hey Devon. How have you been?"

          "There's my gorgeous nurse."

         "You know I'm married."

          "I know," Devon nods. "Lucky man."

          "He is. How are you feeling?"

          "Good. You?"

           "I'm good," Shelby smiles. "Sweetie, are you sure there's no one you want me to call to come hang out with you?"

          "Why? Are you leaving me?"

          "You know I have other patients to take care of."

          "Just sit down for five minutes and talk to me like I'm not a patient," Devon smiles, patting his bed.

           "Devon," she raises an eyebrow at him. "I can't," she smiles, setting the chart on the bed and walking out of the room to continue her rounds.