Chapter 18: BBQ Punch

Heading over to Luke's house a couple of weeks later, the yearly 4th of July BBQ—already packed with people. Braden carries a bag, wearing cargo shorts and a black tank top with an American Flag on the front. Shelby walks next to him carrying fruit salad, wearing a floral sundress and flip flops. She sets the food down on the picnic table, talking to people along the way. When Shelby walks away, Braden walks over to Luke who is manning the grill.

          "Sup bro," Braden greets.

          "What's up?" Luke flipping the hamburgers and turning the hotdogs.

         "Dude, there's a lot of people here," Braden exclaims, looking around the backyard.

          "Yup. Biggest one yet," he smiles looking at Braden. "Why the hell do you look so pissed?" Luke smiles, taking a sip of his beer.

          "Dude I'm not," Braden smiles.

         "Nah but you look it," Luke smiles. Both guys hear Shelby laugh, looking over and seeing her talking to a few of the new guys that are at one of the other stations.

          "And here we go, second year in a row new guys have come to this barbecue and flirted with Shelby," Braden smirks. 

          "Look at her," one of his fellow buddies says, stepping up.

           "Don't make me punch your lights out Griffin," he winks.

          "I'm just saying man. If you don't want guys to hit on her, tell her not to dress like that. I know you guys are married and I want to hit on her."

          Braden shakes his head, walking over to his wife, sliding his arm around her and pulling her closer to him. The guys still standing by Shelby.

          "Hey babe, can I get you something to drink?"

          "No, I'm alright," she smiles, leaning up and kissing him sweetly.

          "Okay," he smiles, walking away. Griffin nudging him.

          "See that guy?" he points to the shorter guy that is standing next to Shelby. "That's John's kid." 

          "Great," Braden sighs, "as long as John isn't here," he says, sipping his beer. 

          Griffin points over Braden's shoulder, John walking around the picnic table towards Shelby and his son.

         "God dammit," Braden says under his breath.

          "What the hell did you do to him to make him hate you?"

          "I don't know. I think it's because I moved up in the ranks quicker than he did and he's been there longer."

          Braden walks over, sliding his arm around Shelby's shoulders. "Hey John." Braden feels her arm slide around his back, her fingers moving under his shirt and up and down his spine.

          "Evans," John looks at Braden. "So this little thing here belongs to you?"

          Braden clenches his jaw. "Yeah we're married," Braden holding up Shelby's hand with the diamond ring on it. "Have some respect man."

          "Respect huh? You aren't really one to talk about respect."

          "It was a year and a half ago man, get over yourself."

          Shelby leans up and kisses his cheek, walking away from the situation.

          "Maybe you should respect your hot ass wife and let her to be with a man who can give her what you can't," John's son Brian butts in.