6 - Suiting Up

Instant Karma's gonna get you,

Gonna knock you off your feet,

Better recognize your brothers,

Everyone you meet,

Why in the world are we here,

Surely not to live in pain and fear,

Why on earth are you there?

When you're everywhere,

Come and get your share.

-- John Lennon (Instant Karma)

=/\=

"How you feelin'?" It was Kevin, come to check up on Tom.

"I've had better days."

"Yeah, you're gettin' used to the stem cell growth accelerator, right?"

"Yeah. Ow. I feel nauseous."

Boris came in, "Not too much so soon. Don't try to sit up," he injected Tom with an analgesic.

"What did you do to me?" Tom asked.

"Lots of secret things," Boris said, "Kevin, you need to let him rest."

"Uh, sure. Tomorrow, we'll take Jack out for a spin," he said to Tom.

"Who?"

"Jack is a what, not a who. The Jack Finney – it's a time ship. I got it souped up and need to test it out anyway. Eugenics Wars, start of World War Three okay for you?"

"Uh, I guess so," Tom said, and he was out again.

=/\=

"Sheilagh? Sheilagh? You have a visitor," Marisol said.

"We're going to 1970 tomorrow," Rick said.

"My hair ...," she said absently.

"Crystal can take care of that," Rick said.

"Yeah, look at me. I was as bald as you, not two days ago," Marisol assured her.

"Oh, okay." She, too, was then back under.

Marisol led Rick out of the recovery room, "You're the one who brought in the new Quartermaster?"

"Yeah, she was, she used to cut my hair," he said.

"She's pretty good. I guess you'll see how well she does with clothing tomorrow, eh?"

"I guess we will. You going out for a spin at some point?"

"I think in the Audrey. I guess Boris would take me?"

"He doesn't travel, and Otra's not allowed to travel to the deep human past. You might find yourself enjoying Levi's company."

"It'll be a joy, I'm sure," she said.

=/\=

Rick went to his own office, a small room with little decoration, save for an occasional tiny temporal souvenir. There was a Comm badge from the Enterprise-E, a sash that had belonged to Empress Hoshi Sato, one of Lucretia Crossman's plain linen handkerchiefs – it was those sorts of things.

He engaged his implanted communicator and called his sister, "El," he said, "I'm off again tomorrow, staying here tonight."

"Ah, okay," Eleanor Daniels said, "Have you told Mom and Dad yet?"

"Nope. I'm not even so sure that they've even miss me."

"Oh, you were treated to the Steve and Chloe Show?"