Chapter 19

Maggie decided that she wanted to die. So we let her. Faked her death and her gravestone. I didn't want to ask why Maggie wanted this to happen; maybe because she wanted to be far, far away from Negan if when he came round after what he did. Whatever the reason, I couldn't judge. Not when I too faked ,my death.

It was a hot morning when I woke. Obviously, I got dressed, brushed my teeth, brushed my hair and then set out into the garden to help Maggie.

As we worked, we noticed Michonne leave carrying a rifle. She'd been doing that a lot recently. Obviously, Maggie assumed she was hunting but when she returned with nothing that made me wonder what was she really doing out there.

Shrugging off the idea, we minded our own business and kept on working. As I tidied up the potato patch, I felt the cold pistol twitch from inside my boot.

"Hey," Maggie said, wincing in pain slightly. Immediately I skipped over, helping her as she straightened her back from bending over for too long. "Um, do you mind if I go lie down for a while?"

"Of course," I nodded, "go ahead. Take the rest of the day off, you've earned it." Maggie smiled.

"Thank you," she said, appreciatively. I watched her go, making sure she got to her safe house safely. Watching as she crept inside, shutting the door behind her, I got back to work.

Looking around, I beamed down at the garden surrounding me. I knew in my heart that Hershel would be proud.

Making my way towards the small shed beside one of the houses, I began to pack up. Placing the tools into the box and making sure not to tip the packet of seeds, I carefully walked over and put down the box on the top shelf. As I began to step out and lock the shed up, I suddenly heard the roaring sound of engines and shouting. Swiftly, I crept over the side of the house.

Negan.

Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck.

Instantly I swung my head away, leaning my body onto the wall of the house to keep myself stable from not falling.

I knew I couldn't stay here, they would see me.

Looking over to the safe house hidden behind some bushes, I hissed under my break knowing I couldn't run over because of my ankle without being noticed.

Turning towards the shed, I knew it was my only hope. Grudgingly, I crept over and shut the door behind me and prayed to God no one would find me.

As I stayed there, watching between the cracks of the wooden door whether someone was near me, I made sure I stayed silent just in case. It was hot, and I could feel my body drenched in sweat. I needed water and fast otherwise I would pass out. Trying to keep me from not falling unconscious, I slowly rocked back and forth and fanned myself with my hands to cool down.

The pistol in my boot was sticking to my good ankle, making it really uncomfortable to handle it. Reaching down to place the pistol on a nearby shelf, I suddenly heard footsteps arriving.

"Damn tragedy," Negan said. I froze. He was right outside. Peaking a glance outside from one of the smaller cracks, I observed as they neared Maggie's grave which was close to mine. "That's what this is," Negan finished. He breathed in deeply, then carried on, "Well, this must really suck for you guys. Number one? That was on me. No choice there. Lessons had to be learned. But number two? That didn't need to happen. Daryl, there, he forced my hand. Probably put her right on her back, huh? Damn."

"Cathy is buried beside her too," Rick pointed out, clearly wanting to change the subject about Maggie.

"Yeah," Negan nodded, "I noticed," he sighed, "I want to thank you for doing this, by the way," he told Rick, honesty in his voice - or so what sounded like it. "We have a grave for her as well back at our place."

"Yeah, well, she was family afteral-"

I tried to hold in a gasp when I heard the sound of a powerful gunshot. I watched from inside as it shaken up Negan and Rick, they walked over to where the noise came from. I glanced back at them as they turned the nearest corner away from the garden. If I got out now, I could quickly hide in one of the houses and get myself a glass of water.

Tucking the gun back in my boot, I opened the door to the shed slowly, peering out to see if anyone was there. No one. Spontaneously, I stepped out and closed the door quietly behind me before running towards the house the shed was nearest too.

Hiding behind the wall to the house, near the back gate, I heard some of Negan's men inside. "Get the mattresses, Negan wants them too," one of them instructed. "Hurry the fuck up, come on! I'm bored and I want to go home." I waited till they were gone, making sure by peering over the gate. Eventually, I skipped inside, making sure not to put too much pressure on my bad ankle.

Tiptoeing inside, I heard the men shut the front door - indicating they had left for good. Thank god. I walked over to the kitchen and reached for a glass to fill with water from the tap. As I gulped down the liquid, I knew after, I had to quickly hide upstairs and wait for Negan to leave.

Placing down the glass, I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and raced upstairs. I walked into the room with the clearest view and noticed how everything was gone. The bed frame was still here but the mattress was gone. As was most of the stuff that probably was here before that suited a bedroom. 

As I peered out the window, making sure not to be seen, I watched from above as Negan strode around and Rick following close behind him holding Lucille. Apparently he made Rick do that every time he visited, it was a way of mocking him. 

I wondered where the gunshot had come from? And how fired it? I hope whatever it was no one was hurt. 

I stayed here for what seemed like hours. Twirling the loose strand of hair, I hummed one of my piano pieces. Suddenly I heard screaming. Standing up straight, I glanced down to see what was happening.

Oh fuck

I did the first thing that came to my mind; I ran. 

Racing down the stairs, not caring about the pain in my ankle. I swung open the front door and began walking up the street towards the screaming. There was stairs leading up to a front porch in front of me that I hid behind. As I looked too see what was happening, I tried to keep my breathing normal.

Negan had one of the New Alexandria's on his knees. 

Rick was shouting, "Negan, no! Please, we can do this another way." 

"Nope! No can do, Rick. Not after what he fucking said," Negan screamed at Rick, "now give me Lucille!" 

Reluctantly, I watched as Rick handed Negan Lucille. Stepping out from my hiding place, I crept further towards them. 

"This man deserves everything he gets, maybe even more," Negan hissed, moving his fingers around Lucille to hold her just right for the swing. 

"Please," the man cried out, "don't do this. I...I'm sorry, I really am. I was just joking." 

Just as I saw Negan raise the bat - the weapon - up, I did the only thing I could do. Reaching for my gun, I ran out and screamed, "Oi! Negan!" Holding up the pistol high, clicking the safety off. 

I watched as everyone turned to look at me. Rick, Michonne and Carl glared, horror on their faces as to what I was doing, probably thinking I was stupid. Maybe I was? Nevertheless, I couldn't let this man die. No matter what he did. 

Casting my eyes back to Negan, my breath hitched as he looked at me. Fear in his eyes, the same fear the day I found out about his betrayal to me. 

 "Pissing our pants yet?" I shouted. I noticed Carl smirking at my reference, " oh, boy, do I have a feeling we're getting close." 

I aimed the gun at Negan's head.