Chapter 20 : I have to Choose.

Start from the beginning

"We have received a proposal of marriage with you from Silvetotia."

Adela didn't know how to breath any more.

So this was the gift Christian had been talking about the day he'd left. A proposal. The perfect Prince of Silvetotia wanted to marry the perfect Princess of Archensheen.

She almost wanted to snort at the word. Perfect.

She suddenly had problems trying to stand still. But then her mind reminded her. Wasn't this all she had been working for? Wasn't this what she had been waiting to get since the start? Wasn't this all her own damn fault?

Just now did she understand what a terrible thing she had gotten herself into.

Christian thought Adela was in love with him.

She wanted to laugh. Wanted to do the things that were the most inappropriate at the moment. Her whole life was a joke.

"But you are having a choice."

Suddenly, her head was up. Looking at the King sitting on the throne. Stunned.

Did she just hear the word 'Choice'?

"The proposal of marriage with the Prince of Larcbost still stands." The King said in his carefully calculated, calm voice.

"He didn't take it back?" Adela was too stunned to keep it in her mouth. To hide the bitter surprise of it all.

The King just smiled down at her daughter. Then shook his head once.

"But... this seems to make the matters a little more complicated." The King of Archensheen sighed, and when Adela didn't say anything, he continued, "Apparently, there are two proposals standing here, in front of you right now."

"And I have to choose one of them..." Adela spoke in a daze as realisation hit her. The King looked relieved that she'd figured it out on herself.

"You can only marry one Prince." The King frowned, "Which means we will only get stronger ties of alliance with one Kingdom. The one whose Prince you choose."

Adela had nothing to say.

"And this time, it's in your hands. I have decided I will not force you into anything. Not anymore." The King's eyes were sympathetic, "Marry the one you want to.

"Either Prince Sebastian, or Prince Christian."

The choice was hers. And she had no idea what to do with her life anymore.

She knew Sebastian wasn't the one she was going to choose.

One week.

One week was all she was granted to decide which of the Princes she wanted to spend the rest of her life with.

As if it was something you could toss around so casually.

She realised no one cared. No one ever cared about anything. All her father cared for was the alliance, and he gave her this choice only because both ways, there was only gain. No loss.