Whitetail and Whiteout

Burr showed us around the entire camp. It took a while with her two pups following us and slowing us down, but we had a lot of time to kill. The sun is beginning to set, a light shade of rose bordering the horizon. Burr leads us to the den we'll be staying in for the night. It's empty. When I question it, she explains that the wolves that usually use it are on an all night patrol.
The den is pretty small, and sits on top of the snow, unlike our Pack's. Ours are practically burrows, with thick snow making up the roof. Theirs are pretty much perched atop the snow, with only a few inches pressed down by constant pawsteps. A patchwork of branches is the roof, guarded by layers of accumulated snow.
       Burr's pups leap around the flattened snow, huge paws causing them to stumble. I glance down at my own, which I have completely grown into. It was nice to have paws that were too big, when your worries were trivial and small. I suppose that when you grow into them, you have to take your life into your own paws.
       The den is cold from emptiness, not warmed by resting wolf bodies. Luckily, due to its small size, it will heat up quickly. Burr and her pups stay with us for a while, providing company until the sun sets.
         Once the final beams of sunlight dip below the horizon, Burr smiles warmly and departs with her pups in tow. They yip at us, as if to say goodbye, and disappear around the side of the den. Dodge also situates himself near the back, curling his black and white tail over his nose as he tries to fall asleep.
     I yawn, curling up near the back of the den to shelter myself from the freezing night breeze. I rest my head on my white paws, and fall asleep quickly. A new place is usually uncomfortable, but Eagle Hill's famous hospitality has made us truly feel at home.

         There's a fog surrounding me, and I can't see anything past the tip of my snout. I can hear snow crunching beneath me, and I'm walking, I realize. I didn't even notice at first. It's freezing, enough so that it sinks through my pelt. My body is numb. I hear more footsteps in front of me. My pelt is sticking up with paranoia, and I lift my tail. My ears are pricked, listening for more sounds.
          The fog clears slightly, and I can see the silhouette of a wolf walking towards me. It is very tall, even taller than Dodge. I back away, tail between my legs. The closer it gets, the larger it appears, and the more clear the air becomes.
           The wolf opens his eyes. They're a glowing shade of amber-yellow, and stare right into mine. They give off a bright light, and pierce through my very soul. The fog around us has cleared in a perfect orb, the pale blanket around us swirling ominously. I can see the wolf more in this new clarity. His pelt is grey, fading darker along his spine. His paws and ears are white, along with his chest. His entire tail is as white as a cloud.
           I freeze completely as I recognize who this wolf is, and internally bite myself for not realizing sooner.

              It's Whitetail. The first Alpha of Whitetail Valley Pack.

         He furrows his grey brow, stepping forward. The remaining strands of fog part for him. His mouth slowly twists into a smile. Not something terrifying or evil, but friendly. Dare I say even one of pride.
        But before I can analyze the situation, the fog quickly pours in again. And then everything fades. A dream.

         I snap awake from the dream, looking around the den. I forgot completely that I was in Eagle Hill for a moment, and let out a yelp of surprise with the sudden change of surroundings.
         That was an odd sight. I've always been told that the ancestors could communicate through dreams, but even the Alpha has never had it happen to him. I doubt that Whitetail himself would come down just to freak me out. It was probably just a regular dream. Anyways, I remind myself. Whitetail couldn't have been that tall.
        At least, that's what I tell myself. It felt so real, and I can almost feel the condensation of the fog on my pelt even after it faded. I look out of the den, and see that the sky still dark. Well, as much of the sky that I can see. Most of it is blocked out by a wild snowy blizzard. A lot of the mouth of the den is covered by fresh snow, and the wind screams wildly, tearing at everything it can.
       The side of my mouth pulls back in an awkward annoyance. I'm in a very fidgety mood. Definitely not ready to wait until dawn. I'm oddly awake, as if I have been for hours. I let out a puff of breath, turned off by the prospect of having to sit in one place for so long with nothing to do. I tell myself that I'll let Dodge sleep, and not bother him. Just because I'm awake doesn't mean he is.

           It doesn't last long. Ten minutes, max.

         Bored, I paw at Dodge's side. In a moment, his blazing blue eyes flick open. He grumbles, but doesn't close his eyes again. He just looks at me, somehow communicating the strongest sense of annoyance without even speaking. He flicks his black ear, as if to ask what I want so early in the morning.

"I just had the oddest dream." I whisper.

"That's nice. Why, exactly, am I awake for this, again?" He grumbles, voice hoarse from sleep.

"Can't sleep. Check out the blizzard!" I point out as a blast of snow strikes me clean in the face.

      I hold back my ears, huffing out of my nostrils. I shake my head to clear off the flecks of snow. Dodge looks over, observing the torrent of white.
     I shuffle my paws in the snow, the fresh blanket that blew in through the entry parting beneath them. It's much colder than it was when I fell asleep. Slyly, I crawl behind Dodge so his large form blocks out some of the wind and snow.
        The storm has blown a thin, shimmering layer of ice crystals onto my pelt. The blanket shifts and glitters as I move, catching the light in different ways.

"Are we stuck here until it clears out?" Dodge asks.

      I hadn't considered that.

"I think we are." I admit.

       Dodge looks crestfallen and slightly annoyed. I have to admit that I am too. This is using up precious time, and the longer we wait, the more hungry the wolves get. And fighting on an empty stomach isn't easy. I worry, praying that no harm will come to the Pack while I'm gone.
I decide that making conversation is a good idea. We have pretty much nothing else to do until the storm passes. Dodge has since sat up, begrudgingly accepting that I won't stop talking.

"So, Dodge, you said that your grandfather was a wolf?" I question, looking for conversation and genuinely curious.

"Yes. I believe he was an Timber Wolf, unlike your forest of Gray Wolves. His name was Kareli, as told by my mother." He responds, tucking his tail around his forepaws.

"I've never met a Timber Wolf. How did your grandmother?" I ask him.

"I believe that a wolf found her in the night, when her team was in one place for a while. They became friends, soon lovers. Unfortunately, her team left before the pups were born. Kareli never met them. All I have are the stories passed down from my grandmother to my mother." He stares off into the distance as he speaks, no doubt imagining his grandfather.

         We end up talking about bloodlines and ancestors until dawn breaks. There is almost no difference to the night, however, as the clouds of the storm have blocked out the sun almost completely.
          I'm completely wrapped up in the conversation, and barely even notice when a wolf pads inside. I almost don't even recognize Alpha Furrow with all of the snow coating his pelt. The brownish yellow color is completely caked in ice, and he shakes as much as he can off. I stand up as a respectful greeting. I nod, and tilt my head as if to ask what he needs.

"I have spoken with my fellows, and we have reached a decision." The Alpha tells us with a warm smile.

        My ears perk up, and I straighten my back, communicating attentiveness.

"What is it?" I ask, my polite tone dropping slightly as I eagerly wait a response.

"We have decided that we have no other rational choices other than to help you. Food is scarce, and if we don't do anything, our deaths will be quick. If we don't rise, our fates are certain. It's our only hope." Alpha Furrow explains.

      I am elated by this news, and I know that Alpha Granite will be pleased.

                  We're one pawstep closer to safety.