||18||

||18||

Encounter

After several days of lying in bed with the trash can beside her, Florence finally found the strength to get out of bed without wanting to vomit every two seconds. Everyday Jesus checked up on her every few hours or so with either special multivitamins that they managed to scavenger or something that she could keep down. She looked down at her stomach to find a bump that was beginning to be noticeable. Perhaps if she were the same weight she was before everything started, nobody would even notice. But now, it looks like she just had a bit too much to eat.

When Dr. Carson came to visit her recently, he informed her that she was about a month along. Just a couple of cells, nothing more, she'd think, which to her meant that it wasn't too late.

"You'd be at a very high risk, Florence," he told her. "Not only do we not have the right tools, but you could catch an infection and possibly die. It's incredibly dangerous, especially in the time that we live in now." Overwhelmed by her limited options, her early hormones caused her to break down and sob for the third time that day.

Today was different. The symptoms must have decided to give her fragile body a break and allow her to return to her everyday routine. She changed into a large hoodie that one of the Colonist women gave her. It did no justice however to cover up her bump.

Florence stepped out of her new bedroom to be greeted by her cousin who was standing at the end of the hall. He jogged over to her with her vitamins in one hand, the other embracing her. "Out of bed so soon?" he asked.

She gave out a weak, breathy chuckle. "I can't be in there forever. I need to get out and do something." She took the pills out of his hand and took them dry. The pain she didn't mind, it was the aftertaste that bothered her most.

"RISE AND SHINE MOTHERFUCKERS!"

Her heart sank to the lowest it has ever been. There wasn't anybody else that Florence knew who's voice could project so forcefully with aggression. The clanging of an object against the gate gave her chills. Jesus' eyes widened. The look of terror took over as he gazed over at Florence. Dozens of Colonists rushed past the pair, weapons in all of their hands.

"Let me take care of this, please," she insisted. "I can talk to him." Jesus shook his head rapidly.

"No! If he finds out he will never let you go. I will never see you again," he hissed. As he turned to leave, Florence grabbed him by his arm and forced him to look her in the eyes.

"Look at me. I can deal with him! I know what he is capable of, you don't. I lived with him for fuck's sake! Please. I will find you if anything ever happens, I promise." She forced herself to not cry again. Her cousin's own breath grew shaky and unsteady at the thought of never seeing her again.

He wrapped his arms around her in a hug and held her close. "You're all I have left, Flora," he whispered. She rested her chin in on his shoulder.

"I won't be after this."

***

"Negan!" Florence called out as soon as she stepped out of Barrington. Memories of the past few times of her repeatedly stepping out of that house ran circles around her brain. The ruggedly handsome man turned his head. A sinister grin stretched across his lips as he lowered Lucille from the man who he was trying to intimidate. She took cautious steps down the stone stairs. She hugged her torso as a harsh wind blew in her face.

"Well well well, who do we have here?" he taunted. He began to take steps towards her, ignoring all of the guns from the Colonists that were aimed at him. Every step he took caused Florence to regret ever coming out. "You've been a naughty girl, Lo. I gave you shelter and protection and you go and run off to these shitheads!" The sudden raise in his voice didn't make her flinch. He let out a single chuckle. "Huh." He eyed past her to Jesus, who had just emerged from behind the brick walls of Barrington. With a smirk, he drew her body close to him just to see the pained look in Jesus' face.

He then quickly released her and looked down to her stomach. She swore that her heart couldn't sink any lower. She was wrong. Negan took a second to process everything. "No..." he muttered. "You're not...?" His head looked around furiously at the other men in the Colony.

Florence bit the inside of her cheek to stop herself from tearing up. "It's yours," she said low enough for him to hear. On the outside, Negan's face remained cold as internally his brain worked up different situations. She trembled at each thought that she believed he could come up with. He then took a step back from her and called out to everybody who would listen.

"Fun's over shitheads! We've decided to collect our shit a little early this month! Consider it as a Christmas present!" His men rallied up into groups to search the vicinity. Florence glanced over her shoulder to meet eyes with Jesus, silently begging him not to interfere.

The trucks slowly filled up with crates of fruits and vegetables stacked up into rows. The shear amount made Florence question whether the Colonist's would make it through the winter.

"Get in the fucking truck," Negan demanded. Upon stepping in, she glanced over at her community one last time. She searched desperately for His eyes to imprint them in her memory.

I won't be after this.

a/n: what do you guys think. should Florence have a boy or a girl?