||15|| The Unexpected

||15||

The Unexpected

"Blink for me please," Dr. Carson said to her. She did as she said while gazing into the pen light, ignoring the burning sensation that it caused her from being in the dark for too long. The light suddenly went away as the doctor put the pen back into his jacket pocket. "And you've said that you haven't been feeling well lately, correct?" he asked. Florence nodded her head. "What are your symptoms?"

"Well...uhm, I guess just really heavy nausea mostly. I've noticed that I've been throwing up easily. I actually had to force myself to throw up when I escaped from Negan. Normally, I have a really bad gag reflex but I think I just threw up on my own. My fingers were just assisting, you know?" she replied. Dr. Carson's pen glided across the pages of his clipboard as each word escaped her lips.

"What about fatigue?" he asked. Florence's head nodded rapidly.

"Always." Dr. Carson searched his mind for an answer until it hit him suddenly. He reached for a paper bag in one of cabinets that contained a box and handed it to her.

"Let me know what happens," he instructed. With a shaky sigh, Florence took the bag and walked out of the trailer. Outside awaited her cousin, eager to hear the doctor's news.

"What's in the bag?" he asked curiously. Florence gripped the bag tightly close to her.

"Oh, just some special multivitamins. Dr. Carson says that it should help with my fatigue and get my strength back," she replied quickly, still clutching the bag tightly when Jesus tried to reach for it. The rain had finally cleared up since she arrived back at the Hilltop. It was almost as if it was a sign.

"If there's anything that I can do for you Flora, just let me know," Jesus offered, reaching for her hand and holding it, then kissing her cheek in a brotherly manner. The kiss was like nothing she had felt before from a family member. Not even her own mother kissed her like that. It felt nice that Florence had someone like Jesus to help her through everything, especially now when-

"Actually, I need to use the bathroom," Florence said. Jesus' index finger pointed over to Barrington.

"Second floor. You can't miss it."

To her advantage, nobody else was in Barrington except her. With great hesitance, Florence took the box out of bag and opened it up. She held the precious contents in her hands.

***

The moment it popped up tears welled in her eyes and threatened to pour down her face. It couldn't be real. She had been in that bathroom for a good twenty minutes before there was a knock at the door.

"Flora? You okay?" the familiar voice of her cousin asked from the other side. A choked response made it's way up her throat.

"No," she sobbed. The room began to spin in circles the more she looked at it. It just couldn't be real.

"Well, is there anything that I can do? You know you can trust me."

With that, Florence swung the door open and revealed the contents of the box to the only person she trusted with her life.

'+' it read.

a/n: if you guys haven't already, go check out my new Tom Holland fanfic called "Heroes"