Chapter 2

Mack's P.O.V.

4 weeks later. 

I woke up with the urge to vomit yet again I ran to the bathroom and threw my guts up after I finished I sat against the shower door and sighed shaking my head wondering what had made me sick for the past week. I flushed the toilet and slowly stood up uneasy of the nausea.

I washed my face and stripped out of my pajamas

29 minutes later- 8:10 AM

I walked out of the room fully dressed in a Black half sleeve ribbed shirt, white and black hoodie, and Black skinny jeans, paired with my trusty white converse and a white beanie since in Portland it was starting to get colder my hair in waves.

I walked into Zara's room to see she was fully dressed and ready to go.

I grabbed my purse and Zara's Hand

I was ditching work today to go to the doctors well I was ditching the library today.

Before we left I gave Zara a yogurt and a fruit salad for my self. I Knocked on Kath's door.

" Hey Macki, what's up? " " I shook my head at her nick name and said

" hey Kath can you pick up Zara today from school I have a doctors appointment and I don't want her to get sick." I asked

" yea sure I have to go grocery shopping do you need me to pick you up something? "

" no that's fine don't worry about it we went shopping yesterday" I said we said a quick good bye before I had to drop off Zara.

I stood in front of the Portland hospital and walked inside with my head down.

I didn't bother talking to a nurse and just headed to an elevator pressing the button once, twice, and three times.

The doors opened and I saw a man about 26 and a lady in a wheel chair about mid to late 20s.

I walked onto the elevator and pressed the 4 button for the cancer ward.

I hated hospitals they scared me ever since I was 17 and Zara was barley even 2 months old at the time.

The doors opened to ward 3 the maternal ward and the screaming of babies and yelling of mothers called to my ears.

The man and the woman moved into the maternity ward and the elevator doors closed leaving me alone In the elevator.

I held onto the railing waiting for another few seconds before the doors opened yet again.

I walked through the oncology ward and stopped in front of a door.

I knocked on it before entering with a smile on my face "hey dad "

" Hey sweet pea where's Zara " " school dad it's a Wednesday morning" I said chuckling and sitting by his bed

" that's right baby girl don't you have work today?"

"I have to go to the doctors today cause I think I have the flu." I said looking at my phone seeing it was 9:20 an my appointment was at 9:35.

"Got to go dad my appointment is at 9:35 and I have to be there 10 minutes early"

I gave him a kiss on the cheek and waved goodbye while I walked out the door I bumped into a man maybe in his early to mid 40s and muttered a sorry.

32 minutes later- 9:53

I sat on the Hospital bed swinging my legs waiting for the doctor to come back.

"Ok Mackenzie we will get back to you by the end of tomorrow. But as far as I'm concerned you don't have the flu." Dr.Harmon said as he walked through the door " Thank you Doctor. "

 4: 20 P.M. 

I was holding Zara's hand while walking through the Cafe doors. 

The homey feeling washing over me. I smiled at all my workers I sat Zara at her usual seat and pulled out her coloring book and color pencils. Martin pulled the out a ham and cheese sandwich and a apple juice. placing it right in front of Zar.

Martin was a 60 year old man who wanted a hobby and i gave him a job about 2 years ago and he was like our grandfather. 

" thanks Grandpa M" Zara said. 

" no problem Zara" he said giving her a kiss on the forehead and gave me a hug. 

i took Zara's and my jacket and placed them in my office. i wrapped the apron around my waist. I started serving tables and asking for orders. when the telephone rang Martin's wife Sara picked up the phone. 

" Mack its for you your Doctor is calling" Sara yelled startling a few customers " Sorry guys ill be right back" i said to the 2 men in business suits.  

they nodded there head and waved me off. 

I walked to the counter leaning over to reach the telephone in Sara's hand she chuckled at my laziness and handed me the phone. 

" Hello Mackenzie speaking " 

" Hi this is Dr Harmon. "   

" Yes i know um i thought that the results were gonna come yesterday." 

" um actually we didn't have to do any extensive lab tests. because on the first screen well im happy to say congratulations your gonna be a mom "

" what" 

" Yea your pregnant. " 

" um thank you Dr. Harmon" i said sitting down on one of the bar stools i didn't wait for the response i just hung up the phone and place it on the counter. 

" Hey sweet pea what did he say " Martin asked

 " im pregnant" i  muttered  " what " he asked " im pregnant " i said a little bit louder 

" oh my god " Sara shouted drawing the attention of many of the  customers.

 " we're having a great grand baby" Sara shouted again not worried about the attention. 

" i think im going to be sick. " i say running to the bathroom. i spewed my guts into the toilet Sara ran in and pulled my hair back and patting my back. 

20 minutes later. 

i laid against the wall crying i didn't even know that i was until Sara said " honey whats wrong you should be happy, you are having a baby". 

i smiled through my tears " i know thats what im worried about. i barley make enough money to support me, Zara and dad's hospital bill. what am i gonna do with a baby all the stuff they need. " i cry pulling my legs up to my chest my head resting on my knees.   

" honey you know you have people to help you have me you have Martin, you have all of us here in the cafe, you also have Kathy and the Babies father "

"i know i have all of you but i can barley remember the father. " i whisper " where did you meet him. " Sara asked

 " when me and Cami went out for her birthday. "

 " come on baby we will figure this out together after we get some food into your stomach you're eating for 2 now lets go " Sara said pulling me up and walking me out with her. 

she sat me down on a bar stool next to Zara. Martin placed a burger and seasoned fries in front of me. i smiled and said a small thank you.