Mary

It's currently Sunday and Cleo barges through my front door." Hey cunt, I was in the neighborhood and decided to drop by."" You were walking?"" No, my mom dropped me off." I look outside to see a woman inside a red car. She seems gorgeous, I wave at her as she drives away while she waved back." I just figured you live alone."" Well my mom is in a band so she doesn't really live in the apartment."
" Same but different. Tell me about her." I don't think I'm ever telling her about my parents and how wild they are. No matter how much she tells me about herself, just my personal preference." Well her name is Mary. She's in her late thirties, a phenomenal cook and a wiz at the recorder."" Oh I thought you meant like a rock band. What does she cook?" I love that all the moms are good cooks." No she travels with a classical band around the US performing. She cooks everything but her quesadillas are the best."
" But aren't you vegan?"" Vegetarian and I make exceptions."" Interesting. Are you and Matt serious yet?"" Kind of. He wants to meet my mom."" I want to meet Mary too."" I'll see when she's free."" She's not free today?"
" True. It's a little short notice but I can tell Matt."" If he is serious he'll make time."
" True." She starts typing on her phone," so my mom is down and Matt needs to respond." It's pretty early so she shouldn't feel ignored." Are we doing anything today before that?"" I was thinking we go to hiking."" Hiking?! As in us going up a trail?"" Yeah I was thinking we hit Runyon before dinner with my mom. You should invite Grayson."" I can ask him, but he might be busy. Is your mom fine with him going?"" Of course she is. Now text him to go and let's make some snacks for the hike." Isn't the purpose of hiking to get rid of weight, not gain." So yeah?"" Sure order an uber. I'll make some sandwiches."" I only like whole grain."

The uber arrived and I shoved the food into her backpack. For the first five minutes he's silent but he looks like a creep. The driver turns around," want some mints?"" No thank you we just ate." He turns back to grab a handful of mints and turns to us again. A mint falls on my lap," do you want water?"" No thanks I'm fine."" Do you guys mind if I pick up my kid right now?" We look at each other and he doesn't wait for our answer and starts driving somewhere else. I grab my phone and start to text Cleo, I don't want to make it obvious.
Me: um wtf
Say something!
Cleo 🐶: no are you kidding
This is an amazing story time
Me: no I'm scared
Stfu you aren't a YouTuber
Cleo 🐶: don't worry I'll curb stop him if he tries anything
I swear to god she's going to get us killed. I hope I get out of this alive. He leans over to the passenger side and grabs a water bottle.
" Here's that water bottle that you wanted."" I didn't ask for it."" It's fine take it." I grab it but have no intention to drink it. We stop by a school and his child gets in. A five year old is sitting in the front seat. He's so not getting five stars. I look at the water bottle closely and see that it's been open before. The water isn't even clear it looks like it has a filter on it.
Me: this motherfucker is trying to drug me
I'm scared
Cleo 🐶: calm down
Give me the water bottle it can be evidence
I throw it at her. I'm not going to be nice if she's letting me die.

We finally arrive at the base of the trail," here's my card. Call me so I can pick you up." Cleo takes it hesitantly and we start the trail." I hate you so much! We could've died."" I wouldn't let that happen. It's for a story time."
" You don't even have a YouTube channel! Anyways you'll never be Tana Mongaeu or The Gabby Show."" Shut up Gabriel! Start jogging." I pick up my pace, I hate when people call me Gabriel." Let's vlog?" Cleonsays taking her phone out and placed in front of my face." You don't have a YouTube channel!"" This'll just be for me. And I might get one."
She does her little intro." You look like a sweaty mess."" And this is Gabriel. Call him Gabby. Where are we going?!"" Disneyland! Just kidding we're hiking up Runyon."
We get up the hill and she starts to take videos of the landscape." Why are you doing that?"" I need it to fill up time if this is boring."" I'm in it so it's not boring." She starts cackling." Ugh you witch. Are we almost done?"" Yeah we just need to go down."" Call another uber. Not that guy." I swear to god if she uses the card.
I'll just watch her, luckily for her she doesn't call him.
Once we get down the sun starts to set." So where do we wait?"" Bottom of the trail." Once we get down I say," let me look at the driver." She passes her phone and I see that it's the guy." UUMMM you got the same guy."" No! I didn't use his card."" Then why is he our driver?"" Shut up!" She takes the phone away from me and looks genuinely mortified." Okay this guy is a creep. It must mean he stayed and waited for us."" Just cancel the ride. Call someone we know like Matt."" Right, but Matt is working right now. Call Grayson."" Right. He's not doing anything right now."

I leave her to cancel the ride, while I go call Grayson.
He answers on the second ring," Hey, I need you to save Cleo and me?"
" Ayyeee, I'm needed. Where are you? I'll just drive wherever."
" We just finished Runyon, don't really know how to describe it other than we finished the trail."
" It's fine I know exactly where it's at, see ya in a few."" Um Grayson hurry, we had a creepy uber driver and I think he's stalking us." I hang up and sit next to Cleo on the curb." Well this is great, is he coming?"" Of course. Did you cancel the ride?"" I couldn't he's too close."" Shouldn't we hide? So he doesn't see us and leave."" Where though?" I look around for anywhere we can be. There's a huge tree, I bet it could cover us. I drag her with me to behind the tree and we take cover.

Grayson: Wya?
Me: Are you here?
Grayson: yeah. Come out, I can't see you
I get up and see him in his car. Cleo follows behind and we book it." Thanks for coming last minute."" Yeah, you're a lifesaver."" No problem. I wasn't doing anything, I wouldn't want you too get hurt."" We'll drive before he figures out we're in here."" Where to?"" Cleo's, we're gonna have dinner with her mom. You want to come with?"" Sure. That's okay right Cleo?"" Yeah the more the merrier. Matts going too."" That's cool. Thank goodness."" Uh you know I'm going to be there?"" I know but I don't know. It might be awk."

We arrive at her apartment," warning my mom is very.... ethnic." As she opens the door, we're hit with the smell of strong chile. I've never smelled anything like what my grandmother used to make. Grayson being the white boy he is immediately starts coughing uncontrollably.
" So mom, you making chiles asados?."" Si obviously," she turns to me and Grayson," hello how are you, my name is Mary."" Hi this is Grayson and I'm Gabe." Grayson extends his arm, but she pulls him in for a hug. That's a Mexican matriarch for you. I love it, she hugs me with the strength of ten thousand men. I love it because of my childhood, my grandmother would do the same." Dinner is almost ready, is Matthew coming?"" Yeah he texted me a while ago, he'll be a little late because of his job hours." Hopefully he comes soon, since Grayson rather talk to him than two girls and me.
We sit down and start eating. There's an array of Mexican food; tamales, chile, tostadas, mechiladas, tortas. I love her mom already.
The doorbell rings and Cleo runs to the door.
" It's Matt!" Mary runs to the door and pushes Cleo out of the way." Hola my name is Mary." God I love this woman, I might not be gay. Just kidding I'm a unicorn dipped in glitter bathed in rainbows." Hi my names Matt, it's great to meet you." Hopefully she likes him." Hurry up son, we started dinner." They come back to the table and we resume eating.
Grayson was worried about it being awkward, but it's actually exciting. Mary is telling her stories and giving advice." So that's when mi padre said we're going back to Jalisco. And then I met her piss poor father."" So any advice on not finding a guy like that?"
" Pues look at Grayson he seems like a good guy." Grayson starts to awkwardly laugh and turn red. I chuckle and try to cover my blushing." So Matteo, when were you going to tell me you're dating my daughter," the party mood went away." Well, I uh, um I," he stammers." I'm just kidding all I want is you two to be happy." We all laugh, God this woman is something." Well anyways I like you with my daughter. Don't make her cry." They hug and we continue talking about her.

After dinner Grayson drives me home and I knock out on the couch. I was so exhausted I couldn't even make it to my bed.
I should've had Grayson carry me up before he left. If Mary said Grayson is a good guy, then I'm sure he's worthy of my crush.