"Oh no, see here Lucius," Cornelius looked alarmed. "Dumbledore suspended, no, no, the last thing we want just now—"

"The appointment— or suspension— of the headmaster is a matter for the governors, Fudge," Lucius said smoothly. "And as Dumbledore has failed to stop these attacks—"

"See here, if Dumbledore can't stop them, I mean to say, who can?" Perspiration gathered on Cornelius' forehead.

"Well, that remains to be seen. But as all twelve of us have voted—"

"An' how many did yeh have ter threaten an' blackmail before they agreed, eh?" Hagrid had jumped up and jabbed his finger in Lucius' direction.

"Dear, dear, you know, that temper of yours will lead you into trouble one of these days. I would advise you not to shout at the Azkaban guards like that. They won't like it at all." Lucius calmly folded his hands, his eyes jeering.

"Yeh can' take Dumbledore! Take him away, an' the Muggleborns won't stand a chance! There'll be killin' next!"

"Calm yourself, Hagrid," Dumbledore said sharply. He turned to Lucius. "If the governors want my removal, Lucius, I shall of course, step aside, however," he added very slowly and clearly. "You will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me. You will also find that help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it."

His bright blue eyes flickered to the side where they were standing.

"Admirable sentiments," Lucius said, bowing. "We shall all miss your— er— highly individual way of running things. And we can only hope your successor will manage to prevent any, ah, killins."

He opened the cabin door and bowed Dumbledore out. Fudge looked expectantly at Hagrid, who took a deep breath, and said carefully— "If anyone wanted ter find out some stuff, all they'd have ter do would be ter follow the spiders." Annabeth inhaled sharply and silently, but no one noticed as Hagrid walked out the door. Pausing, he called back, "And someone'll need ter feed Fang while I'm away."

The door slammed shut, and they all reappeared again.

"We're in trouble now," Ron said hoarsely. "No Dumbledore. They might as well close the school tonight. There'll be an attack a day with him gone."

>>>•O•<<<

School the next week was unbearable. Everyone was tense, like the half-bloods before the Titan war. Herbology was extremely subdued, especially since Frank, Hazel, Percy, Thalia, Nico, and Hermione were missing from their number.

They were herded to Defense Against the Dark Arts by Professor Sprout, who left them in the classroom. No sooner had they walked in that Lockhart bounded in happily like a joyful lamb.

"Come now, why all these long faces?" He asked, beaming around him. Everyone shared an exasperated look. Dean Thomas rolled his eyes.

"Don't you all realize," Lockhart said slowly, like he was talking to a group of toddlers, "That the danger has passed! The culprit has been taken away—"

"Says who?" Ron asked loudly.

"—My dear young man, the Minister of Magic wouldn't have taken Hagrid if he wasn't 100% sure it was him—"

"Oh, yes he would" Ron shot back.

"I flatter myself I know a touch more about Hagrid's arrest than you do, Mr. Weasley," Lockhart said with an air as if he was the one who had single-handedly taken down the culprit himself.

Ron opened his mouth to say more, but was kicked simultaneously by Harry, Annabeth, and Jason.

Harry pursed his lips, then scribbled down a note, before passing it to Jason, who was on his left. Annabeth leaned over to read it—