X10

ZodiacPalaceStudios I apologize for the late update. I hope you enjoy it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I swear if you pace any harder the floor is going to cave under your feet," Emmett calls from the corner of the room.

Edward turns around to where he and Rosalie have been watching him pace around the room where Annalise lay unconscious. A glare stretched across his face. He was in no mood for Emmett and his attempt to lighten the mood. It's been seventeen hours since Annalise had fallen unresponsive and he fears he may have been the cause of it.

"Edward, calm down, she's going to be alright," Rosalie thrusts her arms in the air in a gesture that implied: She's still breathing, isn't she?

"She's right, Edward," Alice voiced suddenly. "The important thing is that she's still breathing. There is no need to assume the worst or cause yourself unnecessary worry."

Edward stares directly into his psychic sisters' eyes. He was beyond worried about Annalise. He was in a state of panic, a panic no one has ever seen before.

"Have you seen something?"

His voice is full of hope as he advances towards his sister. Alice has never been able to see Annalise but he was hoping, by some miracle, that she was somehow able to see a tiny glimpse of her future. He was hoping she could ease his mind by telling him that she's seen Annalise's future and she's going to be alright.

Alice shakes her head. "I'm still blind when it comes to Annalise," she states. "Edward, I'm sorry."

Edward touches her arm. "It's not your fault," he says.

Alice gives a short nod before he turns away. With the broken expression Edward walks over to stand next to Annalise's bedside. After a moment of staring down at her, he grabs a chair and sits down, taking her hand in his. He was not going to leave her side until she was awake, probably not even then. He didn't know if the need to stay with her, to protect her at all costs, was because she was mated to him or because he genuinely felt a connection with her. Either way, he was not leaving her.

Taking an unnecessary breath Edward leans forward, his lips close to her ear, "Please, wake up," he pleads with her unconscious form. "I need to know you're okay."

"Son, you have to give her time to - "

"It's been seventeen hours, Carlisle," Carlisle could hear the defeat in his son's voice. "What if - what if she never wakes up?"

He turns around to look up at the man who's been a father to him for more than a century. He looked almost as worried about Annalise as he was.

"She's going to wake up, Edward. It won't do you any good to assume the worst," Carlisle says, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "You have to believe she's going to be alright."

Edward turns his attention back to Annalise. He watches her chest rise and fall at a slow and steady rhythm. The sound of her heart beating was the only sound that could be heard throughout the entire house.

"Edward?" Annalise's voice sounded in the room.

Edward was on his feet and standing over her in less than a second. He gently cups her cheek as he leans down to kiss her forehead.

"You're awake," he breathes out a sigh of relief while smoothing her hair back.

Annalise takes a deep breath and slowly opens her eyes. After they adjusted to the lighting in the room she looks up into Edwards' dark eyes. They look completely black which means he needed to hunt.