Chapter Two | Seven Suspects

I want to breathe, I hate this night

I want to wake up, I hate this dream

I'm trapped inside myself and I'm dead

~

Why is it so dark when you're not here?

It's dangerous how wrecked I am

Save me because I can't get a grip on myself

BTS SAVE ME

10/11 8:30 AM

I was quiet, rubbing the same spot on the countertop with a cloth. I could barely hear what they were saying as I kept polishing the spot. Their heads were leaning in close, their whispers low.

Wait, if this is the same month, wouldn't I remember what happened? Strangely enough, I couldn't remember anything that happened that month. I'm sure I would've remembered the popular group, BTS (as their fans called them), visiting where I work. Never before have I seen them here.

Then again, I can't remember anything that happened within these 31 days. But everything would repeat exactly the same, right?

Keep in mind that the young man is also aware of the rules.

He changed it.

One of these boys actually changed it because he knew! That must be it.

I listen carefully to some of the whispering I can catch.

"...still don't know why you called us here..."

"...are we supposed to do..."

"...how can you be sure?"

I start swimming in my own thoughts once again, unsure what they were talking about. Was something going on at home? School? OK, definitely not at school. They couldn't have problems because of how popular they were.

I notice that the mumbling and whispering stopped, and I glance up to see all seven boys staring up at me. It felt as if lasers were burning into my skull.

"I think your drinks are ready," I squeak out, assuming that's why they were staring my way. One of them was staring at me because I'd be dead soon, supposedly. I rushed towards the back, and the cook nodded to me.

"Just finished making them. Here, serve them."

I take them on a tray, walking towards the table. Their eyes were trained on me, and I set each drink in front of the correct owner, my hand slightly shaking as I looked over them. Was I judging them this entire time? Perhaps, but I'm constantly judged as well, and at least I keep it on the inside.

"Akuji," one says. Jungkook. His eyes are dark and meet mine.

"The badge?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. He must've been reading it as I was passing out the drinks.

He opens his mouth and closes it again. His lips part again, quickly muttering a solemn, "Yeah."

I place the check on the table. No one pays it a second glance.

I turn back, going to clean some more. They don't say anything else, not even muttering a single word. They all get up to leave, and I slip out of sight to avoid any more awkward stares. I don't want to deal with that.

Man, for the one who wanted to 'save' me apparently, he wasn't doing well for his first day on the job. Then again, my job is to find out who it is. And whether I liked it or not, I'd have to get closer to them to find out which doomed me.