Chapter Eight

Odette's POV

The world of Ivitara was beautiful. Everything was green and vibrant with life. We were surrounded by trees with low hanging branches covered in a thick layer of green moss. The ground was covered with grass and clover. The air smelled of rain and the sun shone so bright it reflected off the plants in a way that was blindingly beautiful. I am not sure how Davian brought us here without setting the forest ablaze but it was remarkable. The darkness inside me enjoyed the fire inside him, I knew Wes wasn't fond of him, he voiced it to me before we went outside the house.

My entire life was just uprooted and I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it, though I haven't had a single moment to myself since I'd decided to go home. Now my family isn't even my family and I have a sister who brings the news that our father is dead and it's all because of this Rhysago. Davian says that Rhys, also known as, the Warrior, will force me to use my dark magic to rid the entire world of the fae and reduce them to ash. I do not understand why anyone would want to do such a horrible thing. It makes you wonder what the fae have ever done to him personally that would bring out so much hatred in him.

We walked through the green forest, staying closely together. I didn't know where we were going, or if Davian even knew where we were going. As if reading my mind Mira started to ask the questions that were rolling around inside my head.

"Where are we going?" She asked.

"Ivitara, it's a land of nymphs and gnomes. They will not be able to do much to help us in our particular war, but they might be able to harbor us for a few days, so we can make a solid plan." Davian answered.

"That does not answer my question." She said.

"We are going to the city. We have a while yet to get there." He said, not stopping. "They will also take care of Kyra, while we go and defeat Rhys."

"You want us to leave Kyra here?" Wesley asked astonished.

"Well, yes." Davian said simply.

"You are out of your mind fire prince." He said.

"The same could be said for you, Wesley. I am trying to keep your family alive and you want to waltz into the jaws of danger with a little girl with no defenses?" He said. I had to admit he had a point. "I understand you would feel better to stay together, but Rhys is not after Kyra, he is after Odette. Kyra will be better off if she stays here away from the danger that Rhys presents than to bring her along with us to give Rhys the opportunity to kill her to get to what he wants."

Wesley scoffed at Davian and walked away from him, brushing his shoulder. Tensions were rising and we were nowhere closer to the end of this mess. Wesley held onto Kyra's hand and I fell back to where Mira was walking. I needed to get control of my dark magic and she is the answer I was looking for.

"Mira. Can you help me with something?" I asked her, quietly so that no one else would hear.

"I know what you are going to ask me, sister. The answer is, yes, I will help you." She said, smiling at me.

"Where do I even begin?" I asked, though the question was me just thinking aloud rather than specifically asking her.

"The first thing that father taught me was to not fear the magic. Sometimes it knows better than you." She started. "But also it can be selfish at times, you must have a firm hand, so to speak, and not let it push you around."

"But how, Mira?" I asked.

"Your mind, sister. Let me show you." She said and stopped walking, then she grabbed ahold of my hands. "Close your eyes. Let the light around you fade away, until only the shadows remain. Feel the darkness run through you like the blood rushing in your veins."