"Thanks," he said, feeling a little like an idiot for not being able to even read their language. He stood and she handed him the book bag.

"Good luck," she said. "I also expect you to attend our regular classes, even though they will be over your head for the most part. But you must get to know your other students who are in the Challenge."

"And you'll need to stay in the dorm with the other students."

"But what about Kyran?" asked Rian, upset.

"He'll be fine."

"But ..." he didn't finish the sentence. He wanted to say Kyran was having nightmares that might come from memories leftover by Molan, but he was afraid to let them know this, not when they seemed on the verge of accepting Kyran.

"We'll have someone with him night and day."

Rian couldn't think of a valid argument, so he stayed silent. He just hoped Kyran would be all right.

"You can visit him in the evening, after your classes."

"And in the morning," insisted Rian. "And I want to take him for a walk. You can't keep him cooped up all day in that tower!" He hurried to say before she could object.

She sighed.

"Very well, but only as far as the lake, and under guard."

He nodded. It was the most he could hope for.

She handed him a slip of paper that he could barely read. It looked like a schedule arranged by day and hour. "I plan to tutor you every morning in magic use for a few hours. I know it's inadequate but perhaps you can get some of the other students to practice with you."

He nodded. "Thanks.

A tall, blond student, perhaps in his mid-twenties appeared at the door.

"This is Arryk," said Emmara. "Heir to the throne of Ashilan. Arryk, this is Rian."

"I'm honored to meet you," said Arryk, bowing respectfully.

"Thank you," said Rian, nodding awkwardly. He was never sure how to act in these circumstances, and he was sure he was doing it wrong. No one ever corrected him, though.

"I've asked Arryk to show you where you can put your things and give you a tour."

"Thanks," said Rian.

"My pleasure," said Arryk. Rian followed the fellow student down the corridor and outside across a small square to a large oval domed building that looked on the outside a little like a football stadium.

"The word is that they've held up the Challenge partly for you," Arryk was saying as they walked. "But I hear that they hope to start this month sometime. I'm glad you're getting settled."

"Thanks," said Rian. He had no idea what anyone here knew of his situation.

Once inside, Rian followed Arryk through a long curving hall that went around the outside of the dome. Every now and then a door led to a small apartment on the outer side. They stopped in front of one section and went through a set of doors.

"This way," said Arryk. Rian followed him down a short, but wide, corridor. Soon, they opened another set of doors to enter what looked like a very expensive hotel suite. The decor was similar to the Palace on Chuness. The furniture was all hand made wood. The chairs and tables ornately carved. The first room was a dinning room, sitting area. From that, there were two or three bedrooms and another area that looked like a kitchen and, he hoped, a bath.