She folded her arms across her chest. "You think I can't pay you?"

Clearly uncomfortable, he rubbed his jaw. "Well, I don't mean to be rude, Senna, but not many girls have that kind of money."

She reached inside her pocket and pulled out the Sheriff's note and gold watch. Without a word, she handed them to him.

As Knight stole a mouthful of hay from another horse's feeder, Joshen scanned the note. Halfway through, he glanced at her in astonishment. When he finished it, he held it tight in his hand, as if afraid someone might snatch it from him. "So you're Brusenna?"

The blood drained from Senna's face. The note didn't mention her full name.

Without another word, Joshen led Knight to a post and tied him off. "Wait here. I'll be back."

Grabbing the straps of her satchel, she considered slipping away. Before she could, Bruke trotted over to a pile of hay and lay down, his head between his paws. The dog seemed to have an innate sense of who was an enemy and who was a friend. He'd known the necklace was trouble. But since she'd taken the other half from Wardof, he hadn't given it a second glance. Senna slowly shook her head. "All right, if you trust him, so will I."

Finding a brush, she started working the dust from Knight's coat. Hair and dirt flew everywhere. She turned when something blocked the light. A burly man stood in the doorway with Joshen at his side. Letting the brush drop, Senna faced them.

"Name's Wittin. Joshen here tells me you brought this note from my brother, Tomack."

Senna glanced at Bruke. The dog still didn't seem concerned. Gritting her teeth, she answered, "Yes."

Wittin's eyes narrowed. "You've had trouble with Witch Hunters."

It wasn't a question. Senna unconsciously took a step back, bumping into Knight. She felt cornered ... and very, very alone. "How did you know that?"

He turned to his son. "Joshen, why don't you go catch Stretch."

After glancing at Senna, Joshen grabbed a halter and a bucket of oats and headed toward one of the pastures Senna had seen earlier.

Wittin took a few limping steps toward her. "There were things your mother never told you. I'm one of them."

She was glad for Knight's solid presence behind her—she wasn't sure she would be standing otherwise. "You knew my mother?"

Wittin rubbed his stubbled jaw. "For nearly twenty years. Her and Coyel came to see me a while back. Said if I saw you, I was to tell you the things you'd need to know."

All the breath left her body in a rush. "What things?"

Wittin inhaled deeply. "About the Witch War."

Ever since Coyel had appeared in her life, Senna had wanted answers. But now, she was afraid. And she wasn't sure she should trust Wittin. "Why didn't she just tell me herself? She could've written it in the note."

"Not the kind of thing you write down. And she was hoping to protect you."

Senna thought of all the times she'd been bullied and ridiculed. "Protect me? Like she protected me the day I was thrown in the stocks! How is that protecting me?"

Wittin's gaze hardened. "You should pray to the Creators you never experience the pain your mother has."

He turned away, staring out the barn door at the house and pastures beyond. "You have to understand, a good many people don't believe the Witches' powers are real. Take this blasted drought. They think it's just a twist of fate, that the seasons rule themselves. But they don't. The Witches control it.