NEVER FALL IN LOVE - CHAPTER 1 - Scarred for life

Start from the beginning

I immediately went to the living room, knowing what I'd find. My mother was passed out on the couch, with a drink still in her hand. I sighed and placed the drink on the end table. I grabbed a blanket and covered her up.

I stared at her for a minute, wishing that I could make her stronger. She used to be so beautiful when I was little. To look at her wedding pictures, you wouldn't even know she was the same woman. Love ruined her in every way. By the time my father left her for another woman, when I was twelve, it was too late. He had already broken her spirit. The alcohol ruined her looks.

I went upstairs and got ready for bed. As I looked in the bathroom mirror, I saw the beautiful features that my mother used to have. I also saw the blonde hair that my father has. I hate my father. I hate all men.

I sat with my usual friends at school the next day. Katrina was crying again. Over a boy, of course. "I thought he loved me," she said in between sobs.

"I told you he was just using you," I comforted her the only way I knew how. The 'I told you so' approach. Someday, she may even start listening to my advice, before getting hurt.

"But he said----" she began.

"They always say that. They never mean it," I hand her a tissue out of my backpack. I always have to be prepared because I never know when Katrina will have a fresh broken heart.

"How can you be so cold? Don't you want to fall in love, Selena?" Katrina looked up at me in complete bafflement.

"Never," I said with conviction. "I've seen how love can ruin people." As the bell rang, I picked up my things and prepared myself to once again help someone pick up the pieces of her broken heart.

After school, I took Katrina home and told her to forget about her latest ex-love. I didn't want to go home yet, so I drove to Anthony's apartment.

I met Anthony three years ago when I was a freshman and he was a senior in high school. We dated until I realized that I couldn't make him fall for me, then I broke up with him. No use in wasting my time, so I moved on to the next one. I don't know why I stayed friends with him. Maybe because he didn't say he loved me.

He is a junior in college now and has his own apartment near campus. He is the only guy that I would call a friend, but I wouldn't exactly call our relationship a warm one.

I knocked on his door and he answered without a shirt on. He gave me the sexy smile that only works on weak girls and is a waste of time on me, "What's up, jailbait?"

"I'm bored," I said as I brushed past him and plopped down on his couch.

"Why aren't you with Jake, then?" he sat down on a recliner across from me.

"I broke up with him last night," I smiled for probably the first time today.

"He told you he loved you?" Anthony knows my routine.

"Yup. Do you have any friends you want to introduce me to?" I looked at him angelically.

"Hell no. I wouldn't wish you on my worst enemy, Selena. You're like the black widow," he grinned and got up. "You want something to drink?"

I scowled at him, "I'm going to take that as a compliment. I'll take a Coke, please."

Anthony laughed and walked to the kitchen. He came back with my Coke and I thanked him. Guys are good for something, after all.

Anthony sat down across from me again and raised one eyebrow, "That was fast. You just met Jake a week and a half ago."

"I'd bow right now, but I just sat down. Don't feel like standing up again."

Anthony's face became serious, "Why do you do it, Selena?"

"Do what?" I played dumb.

"Date guy after guy, make them fall for you and then dump them?"

"I don't know," I answered, but I was lying. I did know. I have always set my sight on the 'players'. The guys who think nothing of abusing women mentally and emotionally. The guys who sometimes grow up to hurt women in worse ways. I teach them the only lesson I can. That some females won't be their victims. That I won't ever be a victim.

As I was lost in my thoughts, with Anthony sitting across from me, looking at me like I was a puzzle he was trying to figure out, his bedroom door opened. A girl walked out wearing just one of his t-shirts. I felt a momentary twinge of jealousy before I squashed it. I had no claim over Anthony and I didn't want to have one.

The girl gave me a dirty look and sat down on Anthony's lap, "Who the hell is she, Ant?"

I rolled my eyes and took a drink from my soda, "Chillax, flavor of the week. I'm not trying to intrude on your sexfest here. I'm not into threesomes."

The attractive brunette got an unattractive look on her face and unintelligently said, "Anthony doesn't want any other girls anyways. We're in love."

I was taking another drink out of my soda as she said the last part and spewed the mouthful of liquid onto the floor, from laughing, "I'm sorry, Anthony. I'll clean that up."

"No problem," Anthony managed to keep a straight face.

"What's so funny?" the girl asked.

I was silent for a moment then decided, what the hey? "I'm going to do you a favor here and just tell you right now that Anthony doesn't love you."

"Selena . . ." Anthony warned.

Anthony hadn't even bothered to introduce us, that should tell the girl something, but she ignorantly prodded him anyways, "You love me, don't you Ant?"

Anthony shot me a dirty look that promised retribution, "No, I don't."

The girl got the tears of a weak female in her eyes and stormed back into the bedroom. Probably to put on her clothes and plan her dramatic exit. Anthony was still scowling at me, so I innocently asked, "What?"

"That wasn't nice, Selena."

I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned back into the couch, "I did that girl a favor."

"You are the most cynical person I know," Anthony said.

"Not cynical. Just realistic."

********************************

OKAY, couldn't help myself. Got the idea in my head and had to write it down.

Then, I was eager find out what you all think about this new story, so here I am posting it.

So . . . . . . .

COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW

IF YOU LIKE, VOTE TOO!