[Eight]

"At least let me help you with your magic first."
"You can teach me how to control this? I don't want to hurt someone by accident." I turned back around and stood in front of Molly again. She said the only thing that could pause me. "I only remember bits and pieces of having this magic before."

She took a deep breath and let it out again. "I've never trained someone before. We have special people that do this." Molly paced back to the living room and tried to gather herself.

"What kind of special people? What do you mean?" My curiosity got the better of me. I always felt that Molly was intentionally withholding information that could help me understand what was happening with my magic. It surprised me because we were best friends. We should be able to share everything. If she's hidden that she's a highly trained light witch, who knew what else she hid from me.

"Now is not the time for stories, Mari, we have much more important things to do. Like teaching you how to actually control your magic." Molly was hiding something and used training me as a distraction from her secrets.

I put my questions aside though, I could learn more about the history of what I was when the time was right. I knew after I found Gracie, Molly would be there, also I was certain I'd have to confront my father soon because he's the only family I still have alive that could tell me my past.

But hunting down who took my daughter was first. Gracie was always first.

It was a good thing I had someone so close to me who was a light witch. It's kinda strange. I thought again, then expressed out loud to Molly. "How are we so close and we are both witches?"

"Another time, I'll tell you our story. For now, I'll teach you about the magic. You can use it when we hunt for Shadid to keep yourself protected." Molly was now hiding another secret, but I knew at the same time she wouldn't budge and tell me.

I nodded and let my thoughts go. I needed to focus so I could manipulate this magic and use it to save my daughter. "Alright, what do I do?"

**

We practiced for days before I finally put a stop to it. I'd spend my mornings with Molly as she taught me every way I could control my emotions but it never worked.

Molly tried to teach me how to make the magic come to the surface at will. I couldn't seem to do it no matter how hard I focused. Then she showed me how a witch could expel large amounts of magic into the earth so we wouldn't be so destructive with it.

Sometimes, during our practices, I would get the red magic when I got angry. Molly explained that the red light reflected my anger and I needed to harness my emotions. Once I did that my magic respond on command not just instinct.

I'd rolled my eyes at her but still kept trying. It became apparent quickly why witches had special trainers, and why it took a lifetime to master it. I'd spend my mornings attempting to manipulate my magic, and my evenings doing combat training.

During the rest of the time, Molly and I would search through all of the evidence we could find in Luke's files and then I'd try to sleep. That was the worse time because I was slipping farther into my grief of losing my family.

"This is pointless. We've been training for days and I still can't control it, and I need to get out there searching for her."

My frustration had peaked, and I wanted to move on. I wanted to feel productive in this search for Gracie. Shadid was my only lead, and I wasn't going to find him here at Molly's apartment. It was time to start hunting and she's been distracting me instead.
Molly tossed her hands in the air, but I could see she knew I was right. She walked back to her bedroom and returned later with a 380 and handed it to me. The gun was small enough to fit in my waistband and not be seen.