05 - a change of heart

.

A/N: the song for this chapter is Cocoon by Catfish and the Bottlemen ;)

.

_________________________________

.

.

- Veronica -

.

.

Tonight would be either the worst or best Friday of my entire existence. There would be no in between.

Heather Chandler picked me up in her white, shiny porsche, motioning for me to hurry up.

She wore a tight red dress that apparently showed off her body, her usually straight blonde hair in curls.

I wore a black dress with blue tights, my hair left as it was.

"We're making a pit stop." She rose her eyebrows at me.

I nodded once, shrugging. It wasn't like she would have asked for my opinion anyway.

"Tonight's the night, Veronica. And it's your time. Mess this up, and you're fucking over."

I silently stared out the window, letting out a heavy sigh.

Instead, I reached forward and turned on the radio to tune her out, turning the volume dial up.

.

.

We stopped by a gas station for snacks, my eyes falling on a bright blue neon sign that read Snappy Snack Shack on the transparent window.

My fingers grasped the cold metal handle on the door, about to walk in before Heather bellowed out the car window.

''Corn nuts!"

"Plain or BQ?'' I called back, raising my eyebrows.

''BQ." She motioned as I walked into the small convenient store.

Looking around at my surroundings, my heart leaped at the sight of him.

Ashton stood next to the microwave, leaning against the counter, his eyes already on me, a smirk on his face.

His brown hair was slicked back, a black leather jacket adorning his upper body.

I gulped, praying to God to forgive me for my unclean thoughts. I imagined him throwing me down onto the counter and ripping my clothes off me for a few seconds before his voice snapped me out of it.

"Veronica."

"Ashton." I breathed out, pulling a small smile. "What you pulled today in the caf was pretty harsh."

He just shrugged in mock innocence, chuckling. "I like to make an impression."

I stared at him, completely phased, until he spoke up.

"You know, seven different schools in a single year can really change your view on everything. My eyes seem to always see this here.'' He motioned around the small room, tilting his head. ''Snappy Snack Shack." He sighed, as the microwave beeped.

I didn't know whether to feel sorry that he was practically a walking travesty, or be drawn to the fact he stood here right now talking so freely.

"That must be.. Terrible." I muttered, furrowing my eyebrows.

I walked over to the snacks section and took a Corn nuts pack for Heather.

"It isn't so bad. I mean it isn't everyday I see someone like you in a Snappy Snack Shack like this one." He smiled, a hot dog in hand.