Chapter Twenty-Four-Maybe She's Right

Start from the beginning

"Alright," Athena sighed. "Could you please wait for me by the door?"

"Of course," Kassach bowed before turning away and disappearing out of view.

Athena turned back to Celso and noticed the hatred towards Kassach in his eyes. "Celso," she made him look at her. "Don't be mean."

Celso huffed. "I don't trust him."

Athena sighed and rolled her eyes. "I do."

"How could you trust him?" he asked her surprised. "He's a demon!"

Athena placed her hands on his chest. "Shush, Celso. Don't be too loud." She looked towards the cell door.

"Athena," Celso grumbled. He lowered his head down so he could keep his voice down like she told him. "Demons and humans don't get along. Never have. Never will."

"Kassach's different," Athena pleaded.

Celso sighed and shook his head. "You don't understand, Athena. He might seem different to you, but deep down he's just the same as the rest of them."

"Deep down he might be that way," Athena started. "But people can change."

"He's not people," Celso said low.

Athena sighed. "I've got to go, Celso." She leaned up and pecked his cheek before turning back towards the cell door. "I'll see you later." She gave him a smile and pulled the cell door shut making sure it was completely locked. She took one last look at him before turning away completely and walking towards where Kassach was standing waiting for her.

"Everything alright?" he asked politely.

"Of course," she answered with a smile. She looked at him and for a moment tried to think what was truly behind his words. Could Kassach actually be wearing a mask and not be who he says he is on the inside? She sure hoped not. She liked Kassach. He was truly the first friend she had here. He made her feel safe when Celso wasn't near. "Why would it not?"

Athena shook those thoughts out of her mind and ascended up the stairs. It wasn't right for her to start doubting Kassach. So far, everything he's done for her is nice and caring. To her, he wasn't like the rest of the demons that she came into contact with. He never sneered at her or talked rudely to her. He was different, but Celso didn't know better.

Athena took a deep breath as she stepped on the last stair and walked into the decorative hallway. She looked behind her and gave Kassach a small smile. Turning back around, she walked towards her room and opened the door. She told Kassach goodnight and closed the door behind her.

Athena changed into her nightgown and slipped into bed. Maybe in the morning, things in her mind will be different.

-

Celso stared after Athena as she walked away from him. He sighed once she had disappeared and shook his head. Leaning against the wall, he thought more about what she had told him. Maybe Kassach was different than the other demons he had met in his life. He could be protecting her and treating her better than what he thought.

He shook his head. No. Demons don't know how to treat other kinds that way. They only know how to treat other demons with kindness and even that's rare. Athena had to be wrong. She couldn't really believe that a demon could treat her well and not have something up their sleeve.

"Why don't you believe her?" he heard Coleen's soft voice ask him.

"You know why, Coleen," he answered impatiently. "Demons have always be cruel to humans. You know that."

"Celso," Robby warned. "From what I understand about how you described Athena, she doesn't trust easily. She only gives her trust when she can feel you mean what you say. To me, that doesn't make sense, but if she trusts somebody, you have to believe her." He paused. "She trusted you, didn't she?" He tried to joke.

Celso rolled his eyes. "She might trust him, but I don't."

"We understand why you don't," Coleen told him. "But maybe she's right. Maybe this demon is different and we could trust him. You never truly know."

"Exactly," Celso jumped. "She could never truly know his intentions until it's too late!"

"That's not what I mean, Celso," Coleen grumbled.

Celso sighed and sat down. He leaned his head back against the wall. "I just want her to be safe."

"We know, Celso," Robby spoke up. "But you can't protect her right now. You're locked up and she's not. You have to trust her and hope that the demon is true to what he says."

"I know," he sighed.

"Then stop worrying," Robby told him strictly. "Now, go to sleep. It's late."

Celso took a deep breath as he closed his eyes and tried to take his mind off of Athena. After a long time of struggling, he eventually fell asleep.