Chapter O1

"That brings today's ceremony to a close. Graduates, I hope your descent into the working world is a fruitful one. Underclassmen, please give your congratulations to the Class Primus graduates of 4829."

Jeon Jungkook, standing at the back of the award hall with the rest of the Felidae, claps politely. The end-of-year ceremony always drags on, and frankly, he'd rather be in the Quiet Zone having a catnap than here, but, well, the Paradisus Institute insists on making the undergraduates sit through the award ceremonies each year as 'motivation'.

Taehyung is snoring next to him, head lolling down and whole body swaying precariously. Jungkook snorts. Motivation, yeah, right.

"Hey," Jungkook whispers, elbowing Taehyung before their supervisor comes over and gives Taehyung a penalty. Taehyung jerks awake with a loud yowl just as the hall is quieting down, and a Felidae in the row before them turns around, eyes flashing with annoyance in the dim lighting.

"Is it over?" Taehyung asks drowsy. Jungkook resists the urge to bury his head in his hands. How Taehyung manages to fall asleep while standing up is a mystery to him, but then again, this is Kim "But Look! Catnip!" Taehyung.

"Respect your elders, kid," the Felidae in front of them hisses, giving Taehyung a look of great disdain and turning back to face the platform at the front of the hall.

"Sorry," Jungkook mutters, tail flicking against his legs in second-hand embarrassment. Taehyung just sticks his tongue out at the guy's back, and Jungkook elbows him again.

Before them, the hall starts clearing out, the Selachimorpha and Delphinidae exiting to the water portals while the Accipitridae head upwards to the air portals. Taehyung leans his head on Jungkook's shoulder as the Felidae head to the combat portal, following after the Canidae and other Felidae.

"So," Taehyung drawls. "Did anything interesting happened in the last two hours?"

Jungkook narrows his eyes. "Did you sleep through the whole thing? You should pay attention. You have to sit the placement test next year, don't you?"

Taehyung pulls a face, yawning lazily. "Whatever. I'm happy being a Class Tertius."

The transport portals buzz with noise as the undergraduates file to their respective waiting rooms, the Canidae heading left while the Felidae head right. There's a hoverlist in the middle of the Felidae room, with a complete listing of the Felidae graduates of this year, and Jungkook warily eyes the group of undergrads crowding around it.

"Jungkookie, come look," Taehyung says from within the crowd, and one of Jungkook's ears swivels in Taehyung's direction. Taehyung slides out, grabbing Jungkook's hand and pulling him towards the list. "Hey, what happened to that slacker who's always giving us a hard time during training?"

"Who, Choi Seongho?" Jungkook quickly scans the profiles on the hoverlist, divided into Classes Primus, Secundus, and Tertius, then frowns when he doesn't see the ID picture of the distinctive spotted leopard ears belonging to Seongho. "Huh, he's not there. Maybe he got classed as a Quartus. Sent out to work at the borders near the Invio."

Taehyung shudders at the word. "Well, good riddance."

Jungkook shoots Taehyung a look. "If you don't step up your game, you'll be right there next to him."

The line in front of them moves as the portal doors slide open, revealing the portal shuttle back to the Felidae compound. Taehyung yawns as he gets in, pulling Jungkook along with him. "I still have a year to up my grades. It'll be fine."

The doors close behind them and the shuttle whooshes through the portal at supersonic speeds. Jungkook raises his hands to cover his ears, grimacing at the unearthly roaring. For all the amazing technological and scientific advances the Paradisus Institute have been able to make, it seems like the one thing that has never changed through the history of humankind is how much the transport system sucks.

Jungkook peeks at his wristband. 15:30. Strength training starts at 16:00, and dinner is at 18:00. Jungkook bites his lip. He could probably change out of his uniform and squeeze in a nap before training...

"Hey," Taehyung says as the shuttle arrives at its destination, all the Felidae uncovering their ears and filing out with unanimous grumbles. He pulls Jungkook aside, out of the traffic flow, hands clasping Jungkook's shoulders. "Can I ask you a question?"

Jungkook gulps. "Yeah?" Taehyung looks grim, two-toned eyes taking on a grey hue, the way they do when Taehyung is concentrating, deep in thought.

Taehyung sighs, lowering his head, then looks up at Jungkook, a grin creeping onto his face.

"Do you feel like fish crisps?"