chapter 16

A few more weeks had passed and before I knew it, it was almost Christmas. I didn't usually celebrate because it was always just me, but now I had a family of sorts. I smiled, I had a family. It's been a long time since I've been able to say that. On December first I became very aware of how important Christmas was in this town. Decorations were hung, a huge Christmas tree was set up in the town square, people were stopping by randomly to drop off cookies.

Christmas was next week and I was currently at the mall with Hannah. I had grown quite fond of the girl over the past few weeks. When it became known that my attitude had changed, people were a lot friendlier and often stopped by my house to chat. And when parents noticed how attached Hannah and I had become, they would bring their kids by hoping I would grow attached to them too. No such luck though. Hannah was about the only kid I felt the need to watch over. Still don't know why.

"So what are you getting me for Christmas?" She asked cheekily.

I laughed, "Oh no. I already got your gift and I'm not telling." She pouted. 

"Fine what are you getting Tristan?" She asked making a kissy face.

I rolled my eyes, "Uh a shirt?" And she scoffed as if it was the worst idea in the world.

"A shirt? You can't get him a shirt! He's your mate and the alpha. You have to get him something special!" I looked at her, "What do you suggest your majesty?" I asked sarcastically. She thought for a moment and then shrugged, "I don't know but it should come from your heart." I snorted, such a typical romantic answer.

My phone rang and I picked it up, "Hello?"

"We got something." Nikki said on the other end. I glanced at Hannah who was looking around at the different stores.

"Hannah why don't you go to Starbucks and get us some drinks, I want a coffee and I know how you get with caffeine so just get hot chocolate." I warned as I handed her money. She pouted but nonetheless skipped off into the Starbucks.

"What is it?" I said looking around suspiciously. Habit when something was wrong.

"We ran facial recognition of the pictures you sent of everyone in the pack and one got a hit." I narrowed my eyes, "Who?"

"Jules Grandon. Know her? She had a visit with Antonio near the end of November." She questioned and I clenched my jaw.  Stacey's birthday was at the end of November and it had been ruined when men attacked during the party.

"Yeah I know her." Dumb bitch has been trying to steal my mate. It could be just that fact that I didn't like her but I had a bad feeling about her from the moment she got back in town. If that girl was threatening my mate and his family, my family, she will pay. Hannah came skipping back with drinks in hand.

"Gotta go. Thanks." I said and hung up. I took the coffee from her and told her to keep the change for Christmas shopping.

"Let's go." I said and she looked confused.

"But..you're not done getting gifts?" She tilted her head.

"It's fine I'll come back another day I'm getting tired." I told her and led her outside to the car.

"Can I stay the night tonight?" She asked giving me puppy dog eyes. She had stayed over a few times before. I think she liked to because I didn't make her go to bed at any certain time.

"Not tonight, something's come up." I told her and she frowned.

"With work?" She asked quietly. Since everyone had found out what I do, my job was a sensitive topic that wasn't usually brought up. Hannah though, always curious, had to know what was going on but she was a little more reserved when talking about my job.