chapter 6

I skipped class Monday to finish the official case report for the director and review the available assignments for the team.

When I walked into class Tuesday Stacey zeroed in to the wound on my forehead. Yesterday I used adhesive stitches to close the wound but it would still need a few days until the wolfsbane was out of my system to heal completely. 

"What happened!" She yelled reaching for my head. I don't know why her first instinct was to touch the gapping wound but I shooed her hand away nevertheless. 

"It's not a big deal. We went surfing and when I was knocked off by a wave and tumbled into a coral reef. Just a scratch." I calmed my breathing so that she wouldn't notice the lie. 

"Just a scratch? Tristan is going to lose his shit. And he's already on the brink." She warned me as she unpacked her laptop. 

"Explain please." I was only gone for two days, it couldn't be that bad. 

"He's barely keeping it together, and by that I mean he's yelling at anyone who walks within a ten foot radius. And yesterday, when he returned from his run he was soaked in blood. Jace went out afterwards and said he must have attacked a bear because there was a corpse torn apart."  She whispered quickly as the the professor began class. 

I didn't take any notes all lesson, not that I needed to, but I was distracted. Tristan was so upset he purposefully attacked a bear? I mean it wasn't a contest between them, I've heard the stories of how large Tristan's wolf was. That bear never stood a chance. 

As we were leaving Stacey nudged me with her elbow to get my attention. She wanted to know if I would come over to hangout. I knew Tristan would be there, and furious, so I wasn't inclined to go. But I was never one to shy away from a confrontation, and it was bound to happen sooner or later. So I told her I had one more class today, then I needed to head home to change but would be over after. 

My phone was buzzing all throughout my last class, but I had already pissed the professor off the first week by correcting him about Roman architecture. I may not pay attention in class but I wasn't looking to fail.

So I checked my messages as I walked to the parking garage. There were a few texts from the agency. The director thanked me for my report and asked me to look into Antonio Mariano based on a tip he received. A new recruit sent me a text to introduce himself - would have to look into how he got my number, abusing your privileges was frowned upon. Then there were a few texts from Stacey asking me if I was on my way. I rolled my eyes because I specifically told her I had another class. 

I shot a text to the director confirming the assignment, screenshot and forwarded the recruit text to our security department, and told Stacey something had come up so I would be late. 

Arriving home I went straight to the office. I pulled up what info we had on Antonio Mariano in the agency's database. I printed his file for later and then called up the team.

I didn't bother with pleasantries. "New assignment, I'll send the file your way. Regrettably, you'll have your work cut out for you." I asked knowing they all were.

"Details?" Lexi asked as I heard her computer ping, as she received the file. 

"Antonio Mariano, he's a werewolf and the Alpha of Italy. So you need to be careful. His file appears clean but he's hiding something. I need intel ASAP. You fly out tomorrow, I will have your flight info sent over." I heard Nikki clap her hands as I mentioned Italy. She wanted an assignment in Europe, but I knew Lexi was disappointed - she was hoping for colder weather. 

"Can I ask why we are investigating him?" Claire asked nervously. It wasn't protocol to ask the "why" of an assignment. I gave them the information they needed to know to complete the job.