"Passionate Mess"

We lit the weed in the kitchen. The first smoke wasn't what I expected. It did nothing to me... well maybe I got a little more wet watching Edward as he watched me put the small stick-like paper into my mouth as if it was fascinating.

"Easy," he laughed, and my stomach dropped. Skillfully, he pulled at it and then blew it in the air. Smoke danced around him like a dexterous dancer. "How do you feel about what Masyia told you?"

I rubbed at my mouth as if it would help her speak. From some reserve of strength, I managed to mutter, "like someone stole my life and there is nothing I can do about it."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No."

"That's fine."

"Why did you ask her to liaise with me ?"

He shrugged. "When you walked away, I was angry. I still wanted to look into your case, but I didn't want to see you so soon. I found a compromise."

"You're childish. You wanted me to leave and I did. Why were you angry?"

"I wanted to be able to see you when I could. I wanted to protect you. Not for you to stay somewhere I can't protect you, somewhere not safe."

"I'm safe here. Far, far away from your control."

"You will be," he said.

"What does that mean?"

There was a kind of hunger in his eyes which I couldn't quite place. It was almost predatorial, but I liked it.

"Now that I know where you are, I can sleep easy at night. I can make sure you're safe."

"You're unbelievable."

"You'll get used to me, don't worry. Now that you know who I am, I don't have to be a nice guy to charm my way into your pants. I can still be my self and get what I want because despite your good girl act, Maria, deep down you like this version of me better. You crave a little danger."

"You think I know you?"

"Better than most people in my life," he said.

"If sex is the reason you're here then let's get it over with right here and right now."

The sombre expression on his face turned into a stern one. He glanced at me from his side. A small smile played on his lips as if he was mocking me and for some reason that made me angry.

Scoffing, I attempted to walk away. He grabbed me. I slapped him without even realizing it. It was an open hand. His head reeled. The impact confused my brain. Edward clenched his jaw and turned back to look at me, fierce anger burning in his eyes. He was in my space in an instance and I was ready for the retaliation that was to come.

"I want you to be my wife," he continued.

What?

I hit him again as if I was trying to provoke him to do something despicable that could prove to me that he was worse than I thought he was.

"I want you to be the mother of my children," he said through gritted teeth.

I raised my hand to hit it again but this time he grabbed my wrists and crushed me to his chest. I sought his eyes for understanding but it was just an endless depth of darkness and pain. He straightened and dropped my hand slowly.

"You said that you were not well equipped for games."

"I'm not playing games."

"I can't take more mixed signals from another man in my life, Edward. I'm not a toy."