•19•

•Callie's POV•

Unfortunately I got stuck in a pack meeting on Saturday morning, but I was determined to find Jarrod.

It was ten o'clock in the morning and the school fundraiser I had to take photos at started at twelve. That gave me a good two hours to track him down and talk to him.

The snow from the other night had cleared up now but it was still cold.

I still feel guilty that Cason doesn't know what happened, I really do hate keeping secrets from him, but this is something I need to sort out by myself. If I tell him he's just going to get worked up and probably do something stupid.

I also didn't want to tell Abby, because I knew that she would freak out since it is her mate that we're talking about.

I make my way to his house, conscious of the people around me.

It had been almost two days since he saw me shift that night, and before that Ric said that he was having complications with him.

There is something about Ric that I just don't like. He has an aura around him that puts me off.

I get to the house that Jarrod is staying at and am just about to knock on the door when someone's voice behind me makes me jump.

"Callie. How good to see you again."

Speak of the Devil and he will appear.

I turn around and see Ric at the bottom of the porch steps.

"Hello Ric." I reply.

I think one of the things that put me off about him was how wild he looked. He had a small messy, bristly beard that continued down his jaw and down his neck. As though he doesn't trim it to be presentable.

His eyes glance to the door behind me, "Visiting someone?"

"I was worried about Jarrod, has he come back?" I ask.

Ric leans against the railing of the stairs, "Yes he did, not quite himself though."

I give him a suspicious look, "How do you mean?"

He shrugs, "Rambling nonsense, staying indoors, looking up old articles."

I have to break eye contact, now I really have to speak to him.

"It's just all very mysterious. He's fine one day, and then just like that, bam, he's acting very strange." I notice Ric walking closer, and I watch him with cautious eyes. If only I could tell him that I could rip his head off in a heartbeat.

"You intrigue me Callie." He says, "You and this strange town."

Before I can reply the door opens behind me and I turn around to see Jarrod standing in the doorway.

"Jarrod." I say instantly, begging him with my eyes to give me a chance.

"We need to talk." He replies, opening the door wider to invite me in.

I turn back to Ric, "I don't know why you're so intrigued, Crescent Falls isn't the place for much excitement."

He gives me sleek smile, "I don't know, there's just something about it. Goodbye Callie, I'm sure we'll see each other soon." He's about to walk away when he stops, "And talk some sense into him, I need him back on the field."

He then walks off with that and I look back to Jarrod.

Except he's not there anymore, it's just an open door. I sigh and walk through, closing it on the way, and find him in the living room, leaning against the wall.