ask me out (again) | simon dominic

-

-

It's been a hectic, chaotic and incredibly tiring day at the office.

You sigh, massaging your aching shoulders. The only thing that you wanted was to go home, take a long hot bath and drink a cup of your favourite tea. But alas, it was still rush hour and worse, it was raining so it would be a long time before you'd arrive home. So you decide to head over to one of the cafés near your office building to order a beverage while waiting for the rain to stop.

You manage to snag a table despite the amount of people bustling around in the café and order a drink. Hands wrapped around the warm mug, you lean back a little in your chair and observe the people in the cafe. Most of them are just like you, waiting for the rain to let up while others order drinks and then exit the cafe sipping them.

But as your drink starts to grow a little cooler and the throngs of people dwindle in size, you notice someone stepping into the café. You can only see his back but it's obvious he's scanning the café, looking for a place to sit. His shoulders sag a little in disappointment when he realises there is no place. And before you can stop yourself, your kindness gets the better of you and you blurt out. "Do you want to sit here?"

You instantly regret it- he's probably going to decline, it was a really weird thing to say after all- or he's going to awkwardly accept it to be polite and the two of you would probably end up sitting there in completely awkward silence.

But then he turns.

And your heart stops.

It's him.

Well, shit.

"Thank you."

He makes his way over, obviously having not seeing your face as you have turned your head so your hair covers the most of your face so you can mask your shock. He thanks you gratefully as he pulls out the chair facing yours for himself to sit. It's only after he's ordered his drink that he turns to you, a smile on his lips.

"So what's the name of the kind person that-" His eyes meet yours and he freezes.

"H-hey Kiseok." You smile nervously. "Long time no see."

"Yeah..." He licks his lips. "You've changed."

"Yeah, I grew out of my old hairstyle. It didn't suit me." You tug on a strand of your hair unconsciously. "So have you though."

"I did change a lot." Kiseok laughs that beautiful laugh, running his fingers through his hair. "But you're still as beautiful as I remembered."

"Oh...thank you."

There's a tense silence for a while. He drums his fingers on the table anxiously. It has never been this awkward around the two of you, even back when you were dating and got into fights. He decides to break the ice.

"So where are you working now?"

You tell him and he nods. You can tell he's surprised as it's completely different from what you originally wanted to be. In no time at all, conversation flows easily ; the two of you keep conversing about other things, from your new apartment to his life as a celebrity, and it's as though no time has passed at all. It's always been easy to talk to him.

"Remember how you asked me out?" You recall, laughing. "It was so fucking ridiculous and adorable at the same time."

He glares at you playfully. "Hey, it was an awesome idea!"

"Suuuuure." You wiggle your eyebrows mischievously. "Riiight."

"Hey, at least I got you to date me, so it worked didn't it?" Kiseok's grin widens upon seeing your cheeks blush, confirming his statement.

You smile softly at his teasing. It's true though. And all your previous affection for him comes rushing back with that single sentence.

His eyes suddenly sparkle and he leans forward, smirking.

"Hey. Remember why we broke up?"

You blink. Why is he bringing this up now?

"Yeah...we both were too busy and didn't have time for each other." You narrow your eyes at him. "I know that look, Jung Kiseok. What are you up to?"

He grins that lopsided grin. "If I manage to successfully win you over will you go out with me again? Like old times?"

It's worth a shot. Although it's been a while (what, a couple of years?) since the the two of you broke up, you're pretty sure you're still not over him. You did date a few men but none of them could hold a candle to what Kiseok and you had. And by the looks of it, he felt that way too....

"Okay then. Give it a try, hm?"

"Alright." Kiseok smiles widely and then takes out his phone. Puzzled, you just continue to watch him. He unlocks his phone and then brings it to his lips.

"Siri, how do I get the gorgeous girl sitting next to me to go on a date with me?" He sneaks a glance at your stunned face and winks.

"There are no results for how do I get the gorgeous girl sitting next to me to go on a date with me."

"Oh my God..." You're doubled over from laughing at how unbelievably stupid and cheesy it is. "It's even better than last time!" You manage to say the words between laughs. "Oh...My...God..."

"So I take it's a yes?" Kiseok cockily asks, amused at your reaction.

"No," You say. "Maybe you should try Android instead."

You start laughing again at his stunned face this time. It's priceless.

"Wh-what the fuck do you mean no-" He begins to splutter in outrage and part embarrassment (it was really corny, even for Kiseok's standards) when you lean over and press your lips to his, effectively shutting him up.

You pull away, resisting the urge to laugh at his reaction once more.

"Saturday, my apartment at 7pm. Don't be late."

His grin is contagious.

"Fuck no. I'm not letting you go again."

-