Chapter 21

Chapter 21
I slid into the door, closing it quietly behind me. Carrying my dress in one hand and shoes in the other, I tiptoed up the stairs, praying no one would see me. I made it to the top of the stairs and into my room. I tossed my shoes into the closet and my dress in the hamper, then walked into my bathroom and started the shower. I was still wearing Elliott's shirt and shorts, but I was filthy from sweating and rolling around at the football field last night. I took off the clothes, folding them neatly on the counter, then stepped into the shower.

I watched the dirt run down the drain as I washed my hair and bare body. When I was satisfied that I was clean, I turned off the water and stepped out of the shower, then wrapped a towel around me. I walked out to my room and slipped on a t-shirt and denim shorts, then braided my hair down the back. I heard a knock on my door and turned.

"Where have you been?" my mother asked, crossing her arms.

"Ashley's," I answered. "I texted you. I figured you were already asleep."

"Yes, I was. You're father and I have been worried sick. I didn't get your text until five minutes ago!"

"I'm sorry mom!" I exclaimed.

"Don't let it happen again." And with that, she stormed out of my room and down the stairs. I breathed a sigh of relief. I thought for sure I had been caught. My mom would flip out if she ever knew I spent the night at my teacher's house. My phone vibrated from my dresser. I walked over to it and picked it up.

'Meet me at the diner?'

It was from Elliott. I smiled and replied, 'It's Sunday. We always meet there on Sunday. Of course I'll come.'

I waited for a reply.

'Okay, meet me at noon. Love you.'

I blushed.

'Okay, love you, too.'

I closed my phone and set it on the dresser, then gazed at the clock. I had two hours to kill before going to the diner. Maybe I could do some laundry, or take a walk?

"Avery!" The muffled cry same from the stairs. I peered out of my room, almost running into Chloe in the process.

"Chloe? What's wrong?"

"Avery, don't kill me." Tears were running down her cheeks like waterfalls, and her eyes were bloodshot. She'd been crying for a while, I noticed. I hugged her, and she wouldn't let go of me.

I shushed her gently. "Chloe, what's wrong?"

"Last night," she sniffled.

"Wait," I interrupted. I let go of her and walked over to my door, glanced around outside of it, then finally shut it. I walked back to Chloe and guided her to my bed. She sat down and rested her head on my shoulder. "Okay, what's wrong?"

"Last night, I spent the night at Daniel's house," she said. I gasped, but I knew I was guilty of the same thing- falling asleep at my teacher's house. I nodded, signaling for her to go on. "And things got... bad Avery. Just bad."

"Like... how bad?" Honestly, I was afraid to ask. It could be a number of things. Daniel could've broken up with her, they could've gotten drunk... or worse. She looked up at me with horrified eyes. I then realized what she meant. "Oh, Chloe..."

She nodded regretfully. "I know. I know I shouldn't have, Avery. But we were both attracted to each other a lot, and I liked him a lot... Avery, I need you to take me to the emergency clinic. Please, I've got no one else that I trust with this."