Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"How's your wrist?" I asked. Chloe sighed and flopped down onto my bed. I glanced at her wrist, which was wrapped in a beige bandage.  My mind went back to a few days ago, remembering the events like it was five minutes ago. Hunter and the rage in his eyes, filled with love and regret. My arms had gained bruises, which were now black and blue. Elliott, though, I had no idea. The last time I had seen him was when he was following Mr. Colden down the hallway. He hadn't been in class for the rest of the week.

I hadn't seen Hunter, either. Chloe said she overheard some girls talking about how he was being put into a police car an hour after the incident, but Daniel told me he was only suspended from school. I didn't know what to believe, though. He hadn't called me at all since then, and I prayed he wouldn't. I didn't want to hear his voice or see his face. It would hurt too much, and I'm scared of what he would do if he saw me.

"It's fine," she said a few moments later. I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts. "Any news on Hunter?"

I shook my head, trying not to show her my nervousness. Something inside me was telling me that something bad was going to happen soon, and it involved Hunter. Let it be another episode in a classroom or he seriously injures someone. I couldn't shake the feeling and I didn't know why.

"Well let's hope he doesn't try anything stupid again," she commented. I nodded at her and went back to reading my book, only half-listening to her drone on about how her and Daniel had the best date ever.

~

"Try this one on," Chloe said, pushing the dress against me and shoving me behind the curtain of the dressing room.

I glanced at the dress and smiled. "Really?"

"Really!" she said from the other side of the curtain. Shrugging hopelessly, I began to take off my clothes and slip into the short satin dress that Chloe had picked out for me. When it was zipped up, I turned to face the mirror and my draw dropped a little. I actually looked... sexy. The red satin dress fit around my curves, and the low-cut, V-neck showed my breasts just enough. I didn't look like a slut, or at least, not all the way, but it definitely wasn't something I would usually wear.

"How does it look?" Chloe asked.

"I look... sexy!" I said with disbelief.

"Let me see!" she begged. I slid the curtain open and watched her jaw drop and eyes grow wide. "Holy shit, Avery, you look hot!"

"But you know I would never wear it," I sighed. "I would never wear this in public. Besides, red isn't my color, it's yours. It looks better on you."

"Well, I won't argue with that," she agreed. "Blue goes better with your eyes. Besides, the dress does kinda make you look a little slutty."

I laughed. "But don't I make the look work?" I joked.

She rolled her eyes but couldn't help but laugh in the process. "Let me go find you something blue. And less revealing!" she added, leaving the dressing room. I closed the curtain and stripped off the dress, then hung it back on the hangar. I sat in the leather chair in the corner of the dressing room, in my bra and panties, and waited for Chloe to come back.

I honestly didn't know why I was dress shopping. Homecoming was next week, but the person who I was supposed to go with, Hunter, wasn't exactly my date anymore. The person who I really wanted to go with was Elliott. But we both knew that was probably the stupidest thing we could do. But at least I would see him. He was one of the teacher chaperones in charge of making sure none of the students do anything illegal like spike the punch bowl or have sex in the bathrooms. Instead, my date was Ashley. Daniel had asked Chloe, and Julie was going with some basketball player.