Cosmos, Chapter Seven - Sureddo o setsudan [スレッドを切断]

They were dead in the water.

Out of every possible metaphor she could find to describe just how screwed they really were, that was the most appropriate.

She knew it as Toji's entourage approached at the smallest motion of his head towards Amaya's frozen form.

They inched bit by bit, making a subtle move to surround them without drawing attention from the many innocent bystanders minding their own business in the terminal.

Casually, Toji tossed the sign aside, paying no heed to the fact that the piece of cardboard had just slapped against the face of the closest suit-clad man on his right.

'Welcome to Berlin, my precious specimen.' He spoke with excessive emphasis on the welcoming tone as he continued that sarcastic slow applaud of his. 'Or should I say, Little One? That's what the delightfully helpful woman had said you should be referred to right now. Said it's some kind of code to gain your trust, apparently.'

A terrified cry escaped Samuel as he clung desperately, trying as best he could to hide himself behind Amaya's trembling form.

The mooks got closer to surrounding them, in spite of how desperately she was trying to edge herself and Samuel away. Some had guns raised discretely so that bystanders didn't notice, aimed at her legs to incapacitate her at a seconds notice.

A well-educated plan – She couldn't run very far if she had a hole through one of her legs.

There was nothing she could do - If there was some kind of brilliant idea inside of that thick skull of hers, she wasn't finding it.

She was drawing a blank as the chortling laughter lapped in the back of her mind.

At least twenty men plus Toji himself against Amaya in the worst of conditions and a terrified eight year old boy.

She knew first hand that Toji's brutality and capability of delivering severe damage was not to be overlooked – He was probably the most lethal person in this crowded room right now.

This wasn't looking good for them in the least.

'I must applaud you. Your movements have been very well calculated. Cunningly so, in fact.' Toji continued, making a clear point of making the most direct move towards them through the crowded airport terminal. 'But not enough. Your caretaker didn't bother to consider that I have spent just as long as he has in building a thorough information network. Time better spent on more important projects, though I admit it certainly pays off at times.'

She wished there was some way she could mute that disgusting man, but right now she was out of options.

The truth behind such a remark was proven even more right as one of the mooks stepped within ten meters of her.

'Have you anything to say? How about an apology for all the trouble your little friends have caused me so far?' Toji questioned.

'How about you just shut up?' Amaya muttered in response, though she cast a glance down at Samuel over her shoulder.

If it was just her, she might be able to deal damage enough to one of the mooks and open up an escape route.

Once again, her hands were inadvertently tied.

A small, almost pleasant smile touched the madman's face as he stopped just a couple paces in front of Amaya, a hand extending forward, as if beckoning for her hand.

'Now, how about you come with me, Forty Ninth.' He spoke casually.

However, a glimpse of forest green over his shoulder caught Amaya's attention, bringing her gaze away from Toji and his group of twenty mooks.