Nightmares and Attention

Let's get one thing straight.

Nico is not the big and bad almighty King of Hell... well, maybe he is, but not when he's with you.

He becomes a puppy when you're near, desperately needing your attention and love constantly.

You were surprised at how touchy he became when you two started dating. You had thought Nico hated hugs, but not from you.

He was a child, cuddling up to you when he could and whining when you didn't give him the attention he wanted.

His clingy was cute.

He even became overprotective of you, which was quite adorable... when you weren't holding him back from killing someone.

Even others noticed how Nico treated you so differently, how he looked at you, how he actually wanted to share physical contact with you.

But there was something concerning about Nico. He had frequent nightmares caused by his past. Every time you asked about the nightmares, he'd brush it off and smile warmly at you, assuring you he was okay. Even when you knew he wasn't.

You always knew Nico struggled with his past. You had to monitor if he ate full meals everyday and got enough sleep at night.

He didn't want to worry you much, feeling almost ashamed of himself that he would bring you to worry.

But you didn't care, you insisted to take care of him. He was yours and you were his.

Most nights you would sneak into his cabin (with the help of his shadow travel) just to lay with him while he slept. He would hold onto you tightly in his sleep, some mornings refusing to let go.

The first time he did have a nightmare with you, it terrified you.

You were sleeping peacefully when suddenly, Nico jolts to a sitting up position, gasping out for air.

Your eyes shoot open and look back as a heartbreaking sob bursts from Nico's lips.

"Nico!" You gasp and hurriedly lunge onto him, hugging him tightly as he sobs out again.

His arms wrap around you tightly, his fingers digging into you as sobs rack his fragile body.

"Nico, you're awake, its okay. I'm here now." You say quickly, the sound of his sobs bringing tears to your eyes.

"Don't leave me, please. I need you." Nico sobs into your hair, clutching onto you as if you were actually going to leave.

"I'm never leaving you, Nico, I swear." You breathe and kiss his forehead firmly.

"Why are you crying?" He whimpers, cupping your face in his callused hands.

"Because you are." You respond sadly and he kisses away your tears, your hands resting over his.

"I love you, so much." Nico whispers and you smile weakly.

"I love you too, very, very much." You say softly and gently peck his lips.

After that, you knew how to handle Nico when he had nightmares. He just wanted you to be there, to be able to hold you when he woke up.

And if you didn't give him your attention when he badly wanted it, he pouted and acted like a child, following you around and tugging on your sleeves.

"(y/n)~!" He whines and nuzzles his head into your back.

"What, Nico? I'm trying to take stock!" You giggle as you try to make sure the medical supplies were all here like Will asked you.

"You haven't given me any attention all day!" Nico gasps and you roll your eyes, smiling nonetheless.

"All day?" You ask in fake astonishment.

"Yes!" Nico huffs dramatically and tugs on your jacket sleeve. "I had to hang out with Jason all day." Nico pouts.

"Not Jason." You remark jokingly.

"Yes, Jason!" Nico states and hugs your waist from behind, burying his face in your neck.

"I wanna cuddle." He demands and you shake your head.

"You're gonna have to wait. After this, I have to help Percy with the stables." You say and Nico releases a prolonged whine.

"I can't wait that long!" Nico interjects and you peel yourself from Nico to walk to the other shelves.

"I'm sorry, Neeks, I promised to help." You sigh, surprised not to hear him whine in return.

Turning, you're shocked to see the door shut and Nico nowhere to be seen.

Sighing, you hurry back to work, deciding to check on Nico after you finish.

"Thank you, (y/n)!" Will says as you exit the Apollo cabin.

"No problem, Will." You say and are shocked to see Percy approaching you, looking nervous.

"H-Hey, (y/n)." Percy says shyly and you raise a brow at him.

"Everything okay, Perce?" You ask and he nods.

"Fine, perfectly fine!" He says, a little too quickly.

"Well, let's get to the stables, right?" You ask.

"Um, about that. I really don't need your help anymore." Percy says with a nervous smile, glancing worriedly behind you.

You were utterly confused.

"Bye, (y/n)!" Percy shrieks and runs off.

"What in the world?" You murmur under your breath and find arms snaking around you.

"Cuddles, now?" Nico asks happily as he hugs you from behind.

Suddenly, you tie everything together and you groan.

"Nico di Angelo, what did you do?" You demand as you turn around to face the triumphant son of Hades.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." He says proudly.

"You know exactly what you did, Mister." You excuse and point a finger at his chest.

"Yeah, I kinda convinced Percy that he didn't need help." Nico says with a small smile.

"Nico..." You sigh.

"Does that mean cuddles?" Nico asks hopefully.

"Yes, but afterwards you have to apologize to Percy and make sure he's okay." You say sternly.

"You got it." Nico says and suddenly picks you up, throwing you over his shoulder.

You yelp and he walks to the Hades cabin.

"But for now, we cuddle." He says happily.