Chapter Sixteen

Paige's POV

Chapter Sixteen

• A few weeks after Maddie's disappearance •

I tucked a strand of my blonde hair behind my ear.

"Paige, Brooke, and Josh! It's time to eat!" My mom hollered from downstairs.

I carelessly chucked my iPhone onto my bed and ran down the stairs.

The aroma of chicken filled the air and I smiled gratefully, unaware that would be my last smile for a while.

We all sat down and gave thanks, then dug into our food.

"So Paige, how are your grades?" My mom asked me.

"Uhm, good, I have straight A's." I shrugged my shoulders.

"You don't have a boyfriend, right?" My dad muttered jokingly.

"Dad!" I laughed.

His careless expression turned serious as he stated, "No really, Paigey. You better not have a-" He began but he was cut off by the loud ring of my mom's cell phone.

She checked the Caller ID and whispered, "I have to get this. It's Melissa and she might have some news on Maddie."

I watched as my mom scurried out of the room, so you couldn't hear her conversation, but I could still see her.

The room went silent on the topic of Maddie. We all missed her terribly and had been hoping someone would find her soon.

I watched my mom, looking for clues of body language.

My mom's eyes widened and she dropped her iPhone.

I looked over at Brooke and Josh and saw their startled expressions.

My mom ushered over to us and announced the heart-breaking news.

Maddie was dead.

I stood there silent for a moment, trying to absorb what had just happened, then I broke down completely.

Tears flowed out of my eyes continuously as Josh shouted, "No no no! My girlfriend....she can't be dead!"

----------------------------------------------

I stared out into the sea of people that had come to mourn over Maddie's death and find even a bit of closure.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as I stood behind the podium, ready to say words about my dearest friend.

"Maddie, she was my best friend. From the moment I met her." I closed my eyes again, as the memory flooded to me. "I remember Chloe and I were in Ballet doing Pliès when a small, younger girl had walked in. She was about a year younger than us and we all connected instantly. We chatted endlessly after class, and our parents set up a 'play-date' for all of us. We were only five and six. Over the years our friendship grew and grew, and we had bonded more and more. But now...she's dead. Gone. My best friend is gone. Forever. She will be dearly missed." I sobbed. "I love you Maddie." I whispered and walked back to my seat and sat down.

A few more people talked about Maddie and then we all placed something that reminded us of Maddie in her coffin.

Once the line had reached me, I place an old doll into the empty coffin.

• Flashback •

"Wow Paigey! I love your new doll! Can I see it?" An excited five-year-old Maddie shrieked.

I smiled at her. "Of course!" I handed it over to her and she instantly fell in love with the doll.

The doll had light brown hair and blue eyes. In a way, it sort of resembled Maddie. Something about it was special.

Whenever Maddie came over she always played with that doll.

Up until we grew out of the 'doll stage.'

But, it seemed whenever Maddie came over she still looked for that doll. For some reason, something drew her to it. She was fond of it.

• Flashback Over •

A/N: Ok, so I didnt get 20 votes and 7 comments but I just wanted to update sooo. This time however, I need 7 comments and 20 votes to update! ily! (and if you comment more that once it wont count! lol and my comments dont count either like if i reply to someone haahah) ooooo and plot twist! you found out Maddie and Josh had been dating(;