Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

Maddie's POV

"Maddie? Are you ok?" Kenzie's small voice asked, through the thick wooden door of my bedroom.

Of course I wasn't ok. I had been in my room for almost a week now, only coming out for food every now and then. I honestly hadn't eaten that much lately and my family, Kenzie included, was getting worried that I was slipping into a state of depression.

Which, I was not, if you were wondering.

I haven't heard anything from Josh, and thankfully it goes the same with Elliot. Maybe that's just because I blocked Elliot's number, but I doubt he would have contacted me anyways.

"Yes, Kenzie, I'm fine." I said in monotone, even though it was all untrue.

"Maddie.." Kenzie paused briefly, "You aren't ok! All of us are worried sick! Please, Maddie, come out of your room! I want my sister back. Please?" Her voice began to quiver and I could hear faint sobs, and it sounded as if she were trying to muffle them so I couldn't hear.

I groaned. They, being my family, have been pestering me about this for the past few days, and if you ask me it was really getting annoying.

"I wont come out there, but you can come in here." I stated, firmly. The door didn't swing open, like I had expected so I teased by saying, "The door's unlocked stupid."

Suddenly, the door bursted open, and as expected there was Mackenzie with red puffy eyes.

She ran up to me, about to encase me in a hug, but then she took a whiff of the air around her.

I watched as she scrunched her nose, and her face twisted into disgust. "Ew! Take a shower, Mads!" She giggled, acting like her normal self again.

I laughed. "Ok, ok! I admit I smell, so I'll take a shower later."

"Mm, no..." Kenzie trailed off. "I kinda sorta promised Paige and Brooke that you would meet up with them at the mall."

Mackenzie began fiddling with the strings of her shirt, afraid of my reaction.

"Not going to happen." I said simply.

"If you go, I'll do your chores for a month!" Mackenzie bribed, knowing that I absolutely hated doing the dishes.

"Make it two." I bargained, flashing a smile.

"Fine. Now hurry up and get ready! You have to meet up with them in an hour!"

"What? An hour? Ugh, you could have told me this earlier!"

Mackenzie shrugged. "Oops!" She stifled a devious laugh as she scampered out of my room.

I sighed and walked into the bathroom, running the hot water as I peeled my clothes off and hopped into the shower.

----------------------------------------------

"Maddie? We're over here!" Paige shouted, a huge smile playing at her lips then slowly dissipating once she saw me close up. "Are you ok? You look kind of...pale."

I stifled an ironic laugh. Pale? That was the underestimate of the century! But Paige, being the sweet girl she was, happened to be taking my feelings into consideration. Calling me pale was the least offensive way to describe myself right now.

My hair was in a frizzy mess, courtesy of Mackenzie for telling me about the plans she made an hour before I was supposed to leave. I had just thrown on sweatpants (something I only wore to bed. Actually, this was the first time I have ever wore sweatpants in public, with the exception of competitions) and a baggy shirt that was much too faded.

My eyes had dark circles underneath them and bags from the countless nights of restless sleep that I have endured.

"I-I'm fine." I croaked out, my voice sounding hoarse.

Paige didn't look convinced, but she decided not to press the conversation on.

"Why did you want to meet up with me?" I questioned, sounding a bit more spiteful than intended.

"Josh." Brooke stated simply, finally glancing up from her phone.

Brooke had always been a bit inconsiderate of others, polar opposites of Paige, but Brooke was still sweet when she wanted to be.

I bit my lip, a bit too hard, as my teeth sunk into my skin and blood pooled into my mouth.

I ignored the slight inconvenience and stared down at the ground.

I did not want to speak of Josh. Who am I kidding? I knew they would bring him up. That was the reason I was so reluctant to come.

"What about him?" The words escaped my lips rather slowly and quietly, barely audible. My gaze was still down at the ground, I couldn't meet my friends eyes.

"H-he's taking your...fight pretty badly. He would have told you himself, but I-I don't know. He said he feels to guilty to bring himself to call you or contact you." Paige said quietly, sipping on her coffee, being that we were at Starbucks right inside the mall.

I pressed my lips into a thin line. For some reason, that angered me.

The fact that Josh has the audacity to insinuate that I had 'sex' willingly, then couldn't even meet up with my face to face made me want to smash his face in.

Ok, maybe not. I still loved Josh, but he's just so..complicated.

Love is complicated, isn't it?

A/N: sorry I haven't updated..I've been busy i guess? 15 comments and 40 votes for more.