The power felt good. 

Real good. 

She smiled, her eyes lighting up as she looked over the items she set out. She grabbed the blood that Jason had gotten from Zaria and poured it into one flask, still chanting away. Jason watched her curiously as a weight dropped upon him, his eyes lowering significantly fast. 

"What are y-" his words fade as he falls asleep. 

*

*

A moment later he awoke, feeling like he was coming from a high. It was just like the euphoric state he and Cat would have when they got stoned. He felt as though his blackout was forever, but it was truly only 15 minutes. 

He found Amalina sitting on the bed next to Esmeralda, staring down intently at him. 

"Were you tired?" she asked, a brow raised. He licked his lips, they seemed dry all of a sudden. 

"Kind of" he mumbled, sitting up. 

"You were only supposed to be sleep for like two minutes, not 15" She smirked and he rolled his eyes. 

"Sorry, it's a bit tiresome trying to keep sane" The sarcasm in his tone made Lina sit up straight. Jason got to his feet, all the while her eyes trained on him. 

"How do you feel?" she said, watching as he picked up Esmeralda's tray.  

"I feel-" he took a moment to think about it. Truly evaluating himself as he thought of her words. He could almost pass for feeling the same, but it was there. 

The slight difference. 

He felt it somehow stirring in him. The awakening of something new. 

"It's too early to tell," he told her because it was true. He had to wait it out. Until the time he felt like he was about to snap if it would come true. 

"It worked though. You're really good at receiving magic" she beamed and Jason looked at her. 

"Thanks" he smiled. He looked over at Esmeralda. "She's going to be really pissed off when she wakes".  Lina nodded, looking at her timer. 

"Which is only 6 minutes from now" she mumbled and frowned at the girl. 

"Stop that" he grumbled, walking to rest the tray outside the cell. 

"What?" she gaped, picking up her supplies. 

"You're looking at her as if she was some lost puppy. She's not. She's dangerous" 

"Yes, but she's also a little girl who is clearly hurting" 

"How are you getting all of that from one meeting? This girl literally killed people" he gestured, in disbelief. 

"You have as well" 

Jason pointed his finger in Lina's direction. "I have never claimed to be innocent, sweetheart" he growled. 

Lina huffed and looked at her things. She gathered them into her hands and walked passed Jason, but he stopped her. 

She released a breath and looked at him. He was wearing an expression she hadn't seen before. 

Was it empathy?

"Did you feel good?" he asked. She squinted and he clarified. "I saw how you felt when you got her power. Did you feel good being that powerful?" 

"I didn't take all" she mumbled.

"Yeah, but you took enough to make a smile so bright I needed shades" Jason mused.