Prologue

“We have gathered here today to say goodbye to a very special person in all of our lives. He will be greatly missed and forever loved.” I heard the preacher say. My mind skims over the words that left his mouth.

I could barely function this morning like any other since his unexpected death nearly three days ago. My mother and my friend Kate forced me out of bed, dragged me to the shower, and even did my hair and make up for me. I was numb. How could the world be so cruel? We had only been married for a short time and now he’s gone.

"Now Bradley's young wife would like to say a few words." the preacher announced and I felt a nudge from Kate in my ribs. My head snapped up and I glared at her, she nodded her head toward the podium and I noticed the preacher waiting for me.

Slowly I made my way toward the expectant man. I hadn't said much to anyone since it happened and now I was going to speak in front of all our friends and family. The elderly man in his nicely pressed black suit handed me the microphone. He leaned in and gave me a comforting hug then whispered into my ear. "Be confident dear, they loved him as much as you and Bradley did and will forever love you."

He pulled away and made his way to the back of the podium and sat his tired frame into a chair. I turned and starred out at the crowd.

"For those who are close to me, you know I haven't spoken much in the last few days." I spoke shakily and nervous. "I only have a poem to read and I will make it through it even if tears are streaming down my cheeks." I gulped then looked down at my sheet of paper.

I began the most beautiful poem I had ever read by Linda Ellis called the “Dash.” I had first heard the poem over the radio when a child had passed away. I looked it up specifically so I could read it at Bradley’s funeral.

I had begun to cry yet I continued with the many words of the poem. By the time the long poem was all spoke nearly the whole church was filled with sobs. I quickly departed my way back to my seat next to my friend Kate.

After the funeral of my husband; people came and said their sorrows and best wishes to me at my new home leaving care packages on my counter as they left. I had only been married to Bradley for three months but we were together since we were sixteen.

The house was now too large for me to live in alone. Once everyone had left, I turned to Kate “Please move in with me?” I asked nervously. “Either that or I sell the house.”

“I would love to, sweetie.” She smiled sadly.

Two days later I was directing where we wanted boxes moved by my brother John and his friends.

 So I offered for Kate to move in with me. She had a cute little one year old girl at the time. Emma. Her soft blond curls flowed down her head and her bright blue eyes are an amazing sight.

Happily she agreed and my brother had helped her move the boxes in since they wouldn't let me help after I told them I was pregnant. This baby was my last link to Brad, my last hope for a happy life.