Chapter 1

Chapter One

Five Years Later

"Okay baby, Kate is going to watch you while I go to work." I tell my little shaggy brown haired brown eyed boy. Kate is still our roommate. She moved in here when her daughter was little together we take turns babysitting each other's kids and we help each other raise them. I feed them breakfast and watch them while Kate feeds them dinner and puts them to bed.

Every time I look at the cute bundle of joy that is my son I can't help but sigh. He will never know his father. I didn't even get to tell Bradley I was pregnant. I remember the day I found out. It was a raining and I was watching Emma while Kate went to work.

"God!" Kate screamed pushing the kitchen door in with a thud.

"Hey! Shh!" I hissed. "You'll wake Emma." The little girl would always wake at the drop of a hat when she was a baby.

"Well come on! I have my period and it's raining, could today get any worse?" Kate snapped.

I stood frozen. Normally my period was a week before Kate's so it was hell at our house for two straight weeks. I began to feel light headed and quickly grabbed onto a chair for support.

"Hey are you okay?" Kate asked.

"No." I whimpered.

"What's wrong?" She asked nervously sitting down beside me.

"I don't remember when the last time my period was." I whispered.

"What?"

"I don't remember when my last period was!" I snipped repeating louder this time.

"Oh." Was all Kate had said. She turned on her heals and went up stairs. I sat stunned in the kitchen chair trying hard to breath. It had only been ten minutes later when Kate returned. She had woke Emma up from her nap, grabbed her diaper bag and didn't even bother to change from her work clothes. "Come on." She said as she gripped onto my arm.

We had gone to the store and marched down the aisle confidently. Kate didn't even think twice when she dumped three different pregnancy tests onto the conveyor belt.

"Wow, so who do I get to congratulate?" Stacy the store clerk asked. The town has always been small and tight knit. Stacy wanted in on the best gossip in town; local single girl gets knocked up.

"None of your damn business Stacy!" Kate snarled. "I suggest you don't spread rumors!" Then I watched as Kate pulled out her credit card and swiped it.

When we made it into the house Kate let out an exaggerated breath. "I can't stand that girl."

"Well you told her." I laughed.

"So..." Kate shrugged as we walked into the door of the house, "which one do you want to try first?" She asked.

"I don't know," I winced. "I have never done this before." I frowned.

"You never thought you could have gotten pregnant when Brad was alive?" She smiled strangely.

"NO! NEVER!" I said with wide eyes as I placed Emma into her playpen.

"Well," Emma said "Let's see..." I watched as she turned once box at a time over in her hand. "This one says you need to try it in the morning. So this one's out." She gently tossed the box onto the kitchen table. "OH! Here we go." She said hold the stick downward and pee on it." She said ripping the box open of the second.

The first test proved I was pregnant within minutes, while we still tested with the second and third over the next couple of hours those to proved my pregnancy. Bradley had only been gone for a short period of time and I really think Dylan had become my substitute. He kept me moving, eating, and breathing when I couldn't think of anything else, I thought of the baby that was mine to care for.