Chapter 18: Bad Dog

Start from the beginning

“You’re lying, I demand a recount!” I snapped, reaching for his pile of packets.

“How many did you staple?” he asked curiously.

I crossed my arms over my chest. “18.”

He tilted his head to the side. “You’re lying.”

I frowned disappointedly. “16.”

He laughed as the bell rang and the John Legend song cut off abruptly. “Have fun walking Finster today.”

~~~

Creative writing was a fun class, aside from the strict teacher and Natalie, who was staring daggers into my head. I’m sure that if she had the chance, she’d rip my throat apart and watch me bleed out.

AP US Government and Politics was boring, as usual. The teacher was old and talked slowly, dragging on the lesson. I wasn’t excited for home economics. I wasn’t happy about Grayson winning the competition. Plus, he hasn’t said anything about my crush on him, which puts me even more on edge. How do I know if he’s joking or not?

Placing my tray in my hands, I exited the lunch line and walked towards the lunch table, where Grayson was sitting alone. “Where is everyone?”

He frowned dejectedly. “I don’t know where Sandra and Lola are; they're probably still in class. Natalie has a volleyball game today and she left in third period and I have no clue where Kyle, Shane and Carson are.”

I internally frowned when I realized that he only knew where one person was out of the six of them, and it happened to be Natalie. I’ve been preparing myself for the worst, so when I brought my drink up to my mouth, I wasn’t surprised to hear Grayson’s voice. “So, how are things going with your crush?”

Putting down my soda with a collected look on my face, I pretended to look confused. “What crush?”

He smirked and rested his head on his hands. “I heard Natalie the other day at the library.”

“And what makes you think she wasn’t lying?” I asked, quirking an eyebrow. “She made up an imaginary relationship; what makes you think she won’t make up an imaginary crush?”

Furrowing his eyebrows in thought, he shrugged. “I still think that you have a crush on me.”

I snorted. “Think whatever you want, Grayson, not every girl wants to be with you,” I sighed. Unfortunately, I was one of the girls who did want to be with him, one of many, and one of the many who weren’t even candidates.

He rolled his eyes, scowling. “Whatever, be a killjoy.”

I let out a sigh of relief. All I have to do now is make sure he knows that I don’t have a crush on him, which is harder than it seems. I'll have to be a lot more rude, and violent. “I’m still not going to let this go.”

“I didn’t expect you to,” I muttered as I bit into my lunch.

We ate in silence, finishing quickly. “How about we go look for them?”

He shrugged and nodded, standing up and tossing his lunch into the trash bin. I did the same and we exited the lunch room side by side.

He opened his mouth slightly before closing it. I expected him to suggest where they might be but instead, he just smirked. “What would you do if I ripped my shirt off and written across my chest in big bold letters was the word: Darcie?”

I probably wouldn’t pay attention to the writing if we’re being honest here, so instead I scowled. “I’d punch you in the face.”

“Would you now?” he snickered as he glanced at my red face.