Chapter 7: Darling

Chapter 7: Darling

“Why, hello darling.” Grayson muttered as his smirk widened and his eyes danced with flecks of amusement. I stepped back, fully registering what I’d just done. My mind was racing, questions pouring out of every crevice of my brain.

Why’d you kiss him?

What is he going to think?

Does he think you like him?

Do you like him?

Why did you like it?

Why do you want to kiss him again?

I felt my stomach muscles clench and I ran out into the yard and puked in the trash can. It wasn’t my best look but… well, there aren’t any buts. I heard Sandra and Lola walking out of the house and coming to my aid, holding my hair while I puked.

“Hey, I couldn’t have been that bad!” Grayson shouted as I nodded my head, silently telling him that it was pretty bad, even though it really wasn’t.

When I finally finished chucking my guts into Shane’s trash can, which is super embarrassing might I add, I turned to see Sandra and Lola staring at me with shocked looks. Who could blame them? I was pretty shocked myself, and I’m the one who kissed him! “What…was…that?”

I looked at Lola and shrugged. “There was no way I was going to kiss that creepy guy,” I replied as I swished my mouth with the water from the bottle Sandra gave me. I spit the water onto the street. I did that a few times until I couldn’t taste the vomit that I’d recently spewed out of my mouth like a fountain. When I could no longer taste it, I just chugged the rest of the bottle, quenching my thirst.

Lola handed me two pieces of gum and I quickly unwrapped one and chewed it before spitting it out. I opened the second one and continued chewing it regularly, glad that the taste of vomit was gone. “That’s not what it looked like.”

I turned to Sandra who bowed her head sheepishly. “What?”

“You look like you enjoyed it," she muttered and I stared at the two of them, horrified. Lola just nodded in agreement and I shook my head.

“Trust me, I didn’t,” I replied and my two friends winced.

“You always were a terrible liar,” she replied as she kicked the cement beneath her feet.

I glared at her. “I’m not lying.”

Lola put her hands out as if to stop an oncoming argument. “Okay, okay.”

I sighed and ran my hands over my face. “That was completely and utterly embarrassing! How will I ever show my face to Shane again? Or to anyone for the matter? Especially Grayson, we work together 6 days a week!”

“Act like nothing happened,” Lola shrugged as if it was simple. I wish it was simple. I thought about it for a moment. It could work…it could work.

“What about the puking?” I asked as I looked towards Shane’s trashcan.

Sandra shrugged. “It’ll strengthen the idea that you hate Grayson. You got sick just by kissing the boy.”

“It’s not an idea, it’s the truth,” I replied and Sandra nodded her head, smirking.

“Okay," she replied as she turned on her heel, Lola following after her. She turned back when she realized I wasn’t following them. “Are you coming?”

I shook my head. “I’m going to sit out here for a minute,” I replied as I leaned against a random person’s car.

<><><>