Chapter 10: Locker Trouble

When I arrived at work, I was on edge. I got home at 3 o’clock today, which meant that I had about two and a half hours to try and calm down but I couldn't. I was constantly worrying about what Grayson would do to get back at me for my idiotic stunt.

When I entered the library, it was eerily quiet. I looked around, peeking around corners as I made my way to the main room, where Grayson was quietly texting. He wasn't wearing his school uniform, not that I was expecting him to. He was leaning against the table even though there were more than enough seats available. He looked up and grinned. “Hey.”

I looked around the library, checking behind me. Was he talking to me? He was way too cheery to be talking to me. “Uh, hello.”

He laughed. “Let’s get started. How about you organize children’s books and I organize adult books?”

I just nodded as I dropped my bag onto the table, walking over to the large cart full of books. The children’s book shelf was out in the open and luckily, I could see Grayson’s every move. Like a good worker, I began organizing the books, placing them on the shelves based on the author’s name.

I took a break, my back aching from having to lean over so often. I leaned on the shelf and watched as Grayson reached up and put a book on the top shelf. I watched as his muscles flexed when he reached to put the book onto the top shelf and as a confused look found its way onto his face when he struggled to read an author’s name. “Hey, darling?”

I quickly went back to work, making it a point to ignore his nickname for me. Instead of calling me by my name, he quickly walked over to the shelf I was at. He rolled up his sleeves as he leaned on the opposite side of the counter. I quickly stood up and backed away. “What?”

He laughed, amused that my paranoia was eating me alive. “Can you read the author’s name for me?”

“Why can’t you do it?” I snapped.

He smirked. “The font is too small for me to see.”

“Well, maybe you need glasses,” I replied.

He shrugged. “Maybe, but until then, could you be my eyes?” I rolled my eyes at his corny attempt at flirting and pointed towards the top of the shelf. “What?”

“Slide the book over here,” I demanded and he gave me a confused look before he groaned and slid the book across the top of the shelf.

I looked at the author’s name and glanced up at him. “Arrington, Penelope.”

He nodded at me. “Thank you, darling.”

I just scowled at him and waited until he returned to the adult section before I continued to work.

~~~

When I finished, I grinned at the idea of free time. “Hey, darling.”

Not this again. “What?”

“Since you’re finished, can you please help me finish up the adult section?” I couldn’t see Grayson so I just sighed.

“No.”

“Please?” he pleaded.

“No.”

“Why not?” he whined.

“It’s not my job.”

“Technically it is, you’re supposed to organize books today and this is organizing books,” he replied calmly and I groaned as I got up.

I cautiously approached him and grabbed an armful of books. I began placing them in the spots they belonged while watching Grayson out of the corner of my eye. “That was quite the stunt you pulled during lunch today, don’t you think?”