Chapter 17: Answering The Questions Of Life

Mare

What was life? I think everyone; at least once in their life; has asked themselves this. What is life?

Well, according to the dictionary 'Life, the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.'

Everyone dies. It's said, but it's the circle of life. Everyone; again, once in their lives; has thought about what happens after death.

What do they do with your body? What happens to your soul? Right now, I'm eating dinner with everyone at the dining table, in the middle of Quota, in Darius' house. What happens if I die right now? Will I see plain darkness? Will see God in heaven? Will people bury me in the ground while my loved ones spill their tears in the soil above me? Will I be reborn again? Will I be never again, be able to afford the little luxuries of just being with my loved ones? Will I forever, only get to see them from up there with God? Will I even go to heaven? Will I land up with hell?

There are many more questions. All, unanswered.

No one could answer what happens after death. My brother Shade died. For me. He died for me. I take the blame. Farley blames me too. She hates me. Cal, my family and Darius seemed like the only ones who cared about me. They seemed like the ones who felt like a part of my family. We were connected like the bonds in the soft intricate design of a spiders web. If one bond breaks, everyone falls apart.

"Mare?" Asked Darius.

It was one if those moments again. Except I'm not lying down under the stars and the moon like I would normally do.

"Yeah, I was just thinking," I said I got up, "excuse me."

I rushed to the bathroom and stood under a nice hot shower. I never stood under the cold, nah, that's to wake you up. Hot baths are for thinking, relaxing.

I decided to just sit in a hot tub with bath salts that I found under the sink.

~

"So you're here?" Asked Cal.

I was naked in this tub. But that didn't seem to affect him. He respected me and never took his eyes away from my face.

"Yeah, my back was hurting so I decided why not," I said smiling.

He grinned, "You gonna be here a while?"

"Be out in five." I said.

He quickly hurried out, closing the door behind him.

What would happen if I had drowned in this tub? When would they have found my body? What would they do with a damp wet body?

Ugh.

I drained the tub, dried myself, and changed for bed.

I came out and lay next to Cal. It looks like both if us are thinking this time because he just stared right up, the curtain open.

I stared up too. Thinking. What would everyone do if that little girl hadn't come and saved us? Would Maven kill me? Take me prisoner? Do the same thing that I did to hid mother?

~

Cal

What would I do without Mare? She's my everything. She's the only person who's close to me, Julian... not that nuch.

Life is something you have to be extra cautious about. You can lose it to a lot as a gunman or as little as falling down... on the road.

Life is a fragile thing. You dot eat, you starve, you don't drink, you dehydrate, you don't breath, you die. Some people wish they lived when Adam and Eve were born so they'd have lots of fruits to eat off trees, all types of animals bowing down to them and all. But what they don't understand are humans. Yes they don't understand themselves. It's in our nature to be curious. If we were in the Adam and Eve era, we'd be sent out of Paradise before Adam and Eve. Why? Because we're just too curious.

Most people look back on their lives and think, oh look, I have achieved this this and this, but we're not like other people. When we get married, Mare and I could say, when we were young, we destroyed Maven, the evil king who killed the great king Tiberias for the throne. Mommy and Daddy saved Norta.

Mare

Cal soon fell asleep, holding me close and never letting go. It was nice being in his arms again, safe from the world, sharing our problems.

I guess it would be a long time till we went back home to see our... my family and the others again. I wasn't that keen on meeting Farley again, especially since we both grieved my brother.

My parents would only talk about marrying Cal and food. We never had excess food. We had either little or no food. They keep talking about how marrying Cal would change everything.

I agree it would change everything, but wouldn't that be greedy? Marrying someone for their money? I mean, I do love him, but he just has to open up to me a little more. I feel like he hides in a shell when he has problems and then expects me to share mine. If he wants a be a couple he should really start by opening up to me. I mean, that's the base of any relationship right? Honesty? The word stung on my tongue. Had I been really honest lately? I don't know. I have to Julian but not to Cal. But I think that's all Cal's fault because he doesn't open up to me, instead he just ignores me and talks to Darius!

I wonder what our future would be like if we got married.

We would probably have children. Maybe twin girls. We'd probably name them Jade and Brooke. I don't know, just dream names I guess. Cal and I would share a room and the twins could have their own little pink room with a bunk bed! They would have their very own little playroom and pink bathrooms. There's so much I could add. But it's all a dream. What's the point if we don't get married anyways?

I wanted to say yes. I will.

A/N

She's gonna say I do next time!!! How's the book so far? Please let me know if I've made a mistake anywhere with anything. Give them a ship name!

Don't forget to comment and vote!

❤️ Becky