8: You Don't Get It

Mark P.O.V.

It probably shouldn't have hurt that much. I mean, I heard things like all the time. I've been told at times that I'm annoying and a little clingy, so why did that bother me so much?

Maybe because it came from him.

And those words that left his lips made me cave in.

The entire day just turned sour for me. I probably should've just pushed away those words, yet they were haunting; I couldn't stop hearing them playing over and over in my mind. Honestly, I'm surprised I didn't hop into my car and leave the school entirely. But, I knew I had to stay, even if on the inside I was screaming "JUST GO ALREADY!"

I made sure not to make contact with him all day, which was a dick move within itself. Maybe I should've talked to him, or at least told him he wasn't perfect either. Yet for some reason, I didn't. I merely avoided any contact with Sean because I figured I'd just make it worse. He seemed pretty fired up when he blew up at me and making him even angrier wasn't something I wanted to do. Well, that and the fact I didn't want to start crying like I did in the library.

The day slowly and painfully came to a close, but I still had to drag myself to track practice. Even after that, I still wasn't going to be free from this whole ordeal because we had made plans to work on the project once I was finished; I was supposed to take him home so we could figure out what the hell we were writing.

Honestly, I wanted to turn on my heels and run out as soon as I exited the locker room. My stomach felt insanely heavy once I entered the gymnasium and saw him sitting on the bleachers with his earbuds in. It physically hurt to see Sean after he uttered those words to me, and when we made eye contact for a brief second, he quickly turned away. Did he see the pain in my eyes? Or did he regret saying those words? I didn't necessarily care as I turned my face to the ground and joined the rest of the track team for laps.

We finished early that day because Coach wasn't present. It was only 4:30 at that point and Sean was still sitting on the plastic bleachers, listening to something on his phone. By then, my head cleared its thoughts of sadness and filled them with annoyance and slight anger. 'So what if he doesn't like me? Why the hell should I care about he thinks? It's not like he's any better!' There were many times when my emotions would switch from one extreme to the next and I hated when they did that. Not only that, but every 'what-if" thought just fueled how pissed off I felt.

It was a quick shower and change before I walked over to where the green-haired boy sat. I had no real reason to feel that way toward him but when he looked up at me, the grip on my track bag strap tightened. He didn't really even look at me, just in my general direction. "C'mon," my tone was low and slightly exposed my feelings of anger. "Let's get this over with."

He gave me a subtle nod as he picked up his things and followed me to the door. Everything flowed into a blur after that, even when we both entered my vehicle. It was just so silent that my mind just wanted to remove the moment completely; it was deemed to have no purpose to be kept as a memory.

Once I began driving, the thin silence turned into a feeling of suffocation. The atmosphere between Sean and I felt extremely heavy and hard to breath in, but I kept my focus on the road ahead. From the corner of my eye, I could see him playing with his thumbs like he was nervous and I couldn't understand why. Why was he nervous? He seemed so dominating and fierce earlier, but it just faded away. Everything about him was different from when he told me off. Still, I didn't buy anything. I felt as if he was just trying to play with my emotions and make me feel bad in order to forgive him. I wasn't going to give in to anything. It's what he deserved.

"Hey, Fischbach....." he said softly as he stared out the window. I took a glance over to him and made a small grunt, telling him to continue. I didn't actually want to talk to him, nor hear what he had to say, but I still let him anyway. "Uh....about earlier....I just....I just wanna say I'm so-"