6: Just A Call

Mark P.O.V.

It was finally the end of a long day. Did that mean I could go home?

Nope.

The end of a Monday at school meant that I had to head to track practice, and frankly at the time, I didn't want to. Yes, track is something I enjoy, but I just wanted to get home. Everything that happened just made me exhausted and fed up with school grounds, all I desired to do was flop onto my mattress and relax for two damn minutes without someone asking "Who does Markimoo like?"

However, I dragged my feet over to my locker to grab my bag that had plagued me that morning and slowly made my way to the locker room. Obviously, a flash of what had happened between Sean and I popped up when I had entered, but I just shook off my thoughts. I went towards the back of the room to start stripping out of my clothes. The door swung open as more people on my track team came in to change. At first, I thought nothing of it, until I heard their conversation.

"I'm just not sure about Fischbach, man," a voice echoed around the room. "I mean, sure, he's a great person and amazing at discus and shot put, but what if he's starts crushing on one of us?"

That was an eye-opener for me. 'Just because I'm bi doesn't mean I wanna bang every guy and girl in sight!' I really just wanted to shout that, yet I kept my mouth shut.

"No worries," another spoke out. "He's not the type that'd do that. You know how he is," a patting sound erupted, so I assumed he patted the other on the back. This guy gave me a bit of relief that not everyone thought this. Soon, the door shut and their voices were no longer present. I slipped on my Reptar cut-off and headed out to practice.

~~~~

After some conditioning moves, a few practice throws and coach pushing everyone to their limits for 2 hours, I was finally able to go home. Once in the driveway of my home, I slumped out of my seat to drag my tired self and two heavy bags into my bedroom. It was a struggle to get up the stairs, but I soon flopped face first onto my mattress just like I had wanted to earlier. I closed my eyes just to try and relax because everything had worn me out physically and mentally. I was tired of the questions and the workout, and all I wanted to do was sleep.

But, my eyes shot back open at the realization of endless assignments in my backpack due the next day. I groaned out into the pillow my face had landed on before turning over to reach for my backpack. Flipping through folders and books, I collected each item I needed to work on and began every task. Honestly, I was in no mood for homework, but I knew thousands of other students across the country felt this way. It just had to be done.

Within an hour-and-a-half of working on essays and pre-cal, I had completed every task but one. This one was literally the hardest one for me to complete and even thinking about doing it increased my heart rate. My eyes traced over the words in my planner one last time before I slowly shut them.

I didn't want to do it.

Okay, maybe I did a little, but what was I supposed to say?

I took in a deep breath as I grabbed my phone and started to put in the passcode. It was pretty easy to find his name in my contacts, yet I slowly scrolled to it and almost passed it by. I was nervous and had every right to be. I mean, how many people can say that their partner for an assignment just happened to be a person you find attractive and also hated your guts? My guess is little to none.

A shaky thumb pressed onto his name and soon the device was right next to my ear. With each ring, I became even more nervous than before as I waited for him to pick up.

But, he didn't.

It struck me as odd that he didn't answer my call, but what should I expect? He didn't have to answer me, and I didn't know if he was busy or had plans after school. 'Best to leave him be.'