4: Chemistry Catastrophe

Mark P.O.V.

Walking to second period was hard after that. I could tell he was pretty pissed about the locker room thing. I would be too, but I don't think I'd be that angry. His mysterious blue eyes stared at me with so much rage and hatred, I thought he would've punched me right there. But, it was just a project. After that, he'd have nothing to do with me. I wasn't planning on that, however. I wanted to get to know him, be there for him; I was determined to become friends with this guy. At least friends.

I glanced down at his contact again as I made my way to chemistry. 'Sean Mcloughlin, huh? Nice name.' Turning into the lab room, I thought about Sean and what he was really like. I could tell that his violent aura wasn't something he usually had. I wanted to know his thoughts, feelings, and interests (looking back now, I sound kinda creepy!). I plopped with my thoughts into my usual seat. Bob soon sat next to me and we began to hear the 5 minute lecture from Mr. Montoya.

"Alrighty, class! Today, we'll be working with certain chemicals so grab some gloves and safety goggles! We don't want someone's skin to get hit with something corrosive!" He let out one of his laughs which made everyone think he was some sort of mad scientist. He passed out directions for the lab as we all took out our lab books.

Bob and I glanced over the materials. "I'll get the beaker, test tubes and samples if you'll get the rest," Bob suggested. I nodded, both of us separating to grab what was needed. We both returned with hands filled with an assortment of equipment. "Boy, why do we need all of this again?" Bob asked, his hands gesturing to the table.

"Simple," I stated. "We need to see what contains more sugar." Bob just rolled his eyes as he plugged in the hot plate. I set the beaker on it and filled the glass container with water. We began to fill test tubes with samples and Benedict's solution, when Bob asked about this morning.

"So, what went down in English?" I eyed him oddly, wondering what he was talking about. "Wade texted me, saying the partner you got was a bit pissy. What was up with that?" He held a bottle of blue solution in his glove-covered hand.

I shook my head at him. "It was nothing. Now, give me the Benedict's solution," my hand extended in front of him. His hand came close to mine and I almost had it in my grasp, but he pulled it back toward him. "Dude!"

"Mark, you know you can talk to me, right?" Bob said sincerely. "I know you don't have to give me every detail of your life, but I'm here if you need me." He handed me the solution.

I took it from his hands, grabbing the pipet to add a few drops into a test tube. "I know, Bob. It's just...this situation isn't something that's ever happened before." I set the tube in the heated beaker. "It was just an accident and I was being stupid, that's all."

He nodded at me. "Well, it sounds like you alright: a stupid accident prone!" He busted out laughing as I shot him a glare. "Like what happened with you and that pole!" I forgot about the pole thing with all the thoughts of Sean I was having. Jeez, I must've really looked stupid. Bob's laughter died down as he studied the test tube. "Again, going into detail isn't necessary. If that's all I get, I can live with it." He gave me a smile. "Well, that one's negative," he gestured at the strange concoction in the tube. "Next one!"

We kept going over and over with the procedure, figuring out what sample turned blood red and what didn't while cracking jokes. Chemistry was one of my favorite classes. Not only because of my love for experimentation, but because Bob was one of my best friends. I could go to him for about anything: a problem, a laugh or just to hang. He accepted me for me and that made me happy.

After finishing up the last mixture, Bob slowly set it into the boiling water. We'd only have to wait a few moments for a color change, but Bob decided to dive deep into my head again.