Chapter 11: The Warning

"We're going out," called Kopa as he and Kiara readied to go. They had met Vitani every day for the past moon and Kopa was on cloud 9. He felt like everything was actually going good for once and he couldn't believe it. Vitani seemed to actually like him and Kiara wasn't cramping his style too much.

"Woah, not yet," Nala broke in as she bounded forward and stopped the two of them from running off.

Kiara tilted her head. "Why not?"

"Why not? Because you two promised to help Taygar and Taylani today if we let you go yesterday," Nala reminded them.

Kopa nodded as he stifled a groan. He did remember that. "Okay, come on, Kiara," he called as he drew his sister forward as they bounded forward together.

They made their way down priderock as they met Taygar and Tayalni. "Alright you two," meowed Taylani as she looked at the two kits. "We're going to work on finding as many herbs as possible. Now, we don't have an abundance of them, but if you know where to look you get them without any trouble."

"Can you show us where to look, Taygar," asked Kiara hopefully as she leaped toward the lion.

Taygar nodded. "Good idea. Let's split up. I'll take Kiara and Taylani can take Kopa," he suggested.

They all nodded in agreement as they strode forward. Taylani veered off with Kopa while the toher two went the other way. Kopa was a little nervous. He had no idea what he was going to talk about with her, but he also didn't want complete silence either.

"I've been meaning to speak to you, Kopa," murmured Tayalni.

Kopa nearly stopped, but he forced himself to keep walking. "You have?"

"Yes, but I wanted to do it without prying ears. That's why I asked your mother to allow us to take you out to collect herbs. Didn't you think that Taygar and I could manage on our own," she asked.

Kopa wasn't sure the correct answer so he just looked away. It seemed like saying yes or no wasn't going to help matters.

"Kopa, I've been worried about you," breathed Taylani.

Kopa drew away from her out of instinct. "You don't have to worry about me. There's nothing to worry about me for," Kopa exclaimed. "Why would you have to worry about me?!"

"Easy, Kopa," chided Taylani gently. "You're not in any trouble. The stars have just spoken to me."

Kopa tilted his head. "The stars? Why are you listening to the stars?"

"Because, as a healer it's my job to listen to the stars just as much as I listen to what my patients tell me and the stars have said a lot about you," she explained.

Now Kopa was really thinking that she lioness had lost her mind. She was about as old as his mother and father, yet she sounded a lot less lucid. But, he decided to humor her.

"What are the stars saying about me?"

"They're saying that your life could be in danger, Kopa."

The fur along Kopa's spine stood on end. "D-Danger," he stammered. "Why?"

"If you continue to bask in the sun and enjoy the fun, then the thrill will turn into the kill."

"What," asked Kopa as he drew away from Taylani. "Have you lost your mind?!"

"The stars have spoken, Kopa. I don't decide what they say. I only interpret it," explained Taylani with a shrug. "You just need to be careful."

Yeah, careful to avoid you, he thought. He gave a respectful nod to her as Taylani strode past him.

Kopa hoped that she was crazy, but a small part of him worried that she wasn't.