Chapter 14

Having undergone the great ordeal of telling the Vice Admiral their long and exhausting tale, the boys were now following the commander to his command tent, where the promise of help and information lay awaiting them. He lead the man, elf, gnome and dwarf into the large tent, the entrance flap waving calmly in the slight breeze, and stopped at a large table in the centre of the room, with a tattered parchment map of the surrounding area sitting on top of it.
"Well gentlemen-" He announced, scratching his whiskers. "This is what we're working with at the moment. Our main operating base is located here in Valgarde, and we have multiple other small outposts located throughout Howling Fjord and Grizzly Hills." He explained, gesturing to the map.

"Now, apart from the usual weekly Vrykul attacks, there's not much action seen in this part of the Fjord, so I doubt the men you're looking for will be here. However, the Grizzly Hills would be a far better place to start your search. It's much less secure than our current position, and much more wild at that. Now, a good place to base yourself would be the Amberpine Lodge, high in the west hills. There's warm hearth, warm food and warm bedding for those who need it." Continued the admiral.

"I see." Nodded the Man.
"And how would we get to Grizzly Hills?" Asked Fizzbiscuit.
"Simply head north out of town, but be careful to give Utgarde Keep a rather wide berth, then head west to Westguard Keep and north once again, through the mountain pass and out into Grizzly Hills." Explained Keller. The gnome nodded in acknowledgment.
"And what are these Vrykul things you've been talking about?" Asked the Dwarf, butchering the pronunciation.
"Well, Master Dwarf, put simply...They're a race of half-giant warriors who kill their weak and ugly babies and are served by worgs and an odd yet horribly vicious race of proto-dragon." Replied the Vice-Admiral. The dwarf's usual jolly facial expression turned to be something quite the opposite.
"Ah. I see." He replied, followed by a late audible *gulp* from the gnome.
"Yes, best to steer clear of them, to be honest." Nervously chuckled Keller.
"And is there anything else we need to worry about?" Asked Codin.
"Not that I know of." Replied the Admiral.
"Good. Well, thank you kindly, Vice Admiral. We'll be on our way now, I think." Stated the warrior, nodding his head and shaking Keller's hand.
"Good luck, Mr Brackbyrne. Good luck, gents." Smiled the Admiral, seeing them out of the command tent.

The group stepped out into the light of the early morning sun and began to take their bearings. The sheer cliffs of the Howling Fjord towered over the intrepid travellers, making all four of them feel trivial and insignificant in comparison to their surroundings.
"Well, chaps, fancy a nice waltz in the hills?" Smiled Codin, placing his hand on his sword and taking a deep breath of the fresh northern air.
"Sounds good to me, as long as we can pick up a skin of ale for the journey." Replied the Dwarf.
"You drink to much as it is." Scowled the gnome, wary of the long hike ahead of him in conjunction to his less than average sized legs. The warrior then turned to the elf, who was standing tall, ready to move in a moment's notice.
"Hwinion?" Hollered Codin. The elf's head spun left in acknowledgment to face the human.
"Care to lead the way?" Asked the warrior.
"My pleasure." Nodded Hwinion, something of a grin on his face.