Chapter 3

"Yaaaaargh!" Cried Codin, as he sprinted down towards the landing. Hearing his cry, the gang of Defias Bandits turned and saw the armour clad warrior bearing down upon them. Panicked, the larger ruffian quickly handed off Codin's possessions to a different bandit, this one wearing a purple bandana over his scarred face, rather than red. The large Defias dolt's hands were shaking, which caused him to spill most of the gold onto the ground, just before the purple footpad scampered off towards a boat tied to the jetty.

A split second later, Codin made contact with the thugs. With shield raised, he collided straight into the minuscule goblin dock master, sending the tiny green creature tumbling through the air and into the river. He then spun around to his left and sliced the large bandit across the chest with his sword. His foe collapsed to his knees, clutching the wound. He was finished of with a swift slash to the neck.

Whilst chaos was ensuing down on the landing, Hwinion was perched up in cover, next to the tree, raining down deadly arrows onto the bandits below. He notched an arrow, drew it back to his chin, aimed and loosed, in the blink of an eye. It sailed through the air, whistling as it flew, embedding itself in the chest of an assailant gearing up to strike a blow against Codin. He stumbled backwards, tripped and found himself in the river as well.

Having dispatched a duel-dagger sporting Defias, Codin turned around to see a beastly looking greatsword arcing down onto him. Instinctively, he ducked and rolled out of harms way, immediately bringing up his sword and thrusting it into the brute's leg. His attacker left out a dull groan as he turned to try and find his target. Out of nowhere, an arrow flew through the air and planted itself into his back, causing him to drop his huge blade and emit yet another groan. Seizing the moment, Codin sprang back onto his feet, plunged his sword into the heart of his attacker and landed a strong kick into his sternum, flooring him whilst removing the blade as well. Jerod's Landing fell silent. Codin flicked the blood off his bastard sword, sheathed the steel blade and slung his shield over his back once more. 5 bodies lay strewn around him, with 2 more in the river. Hwinion came darting down the hill, passing the warrior and stopping just short of the piers edge. He notched an arrow, drew it and began aiming in the the purple bandit, who was desperately rowing down the river in his small boat.

"Easy, easy." Encouraged Codin. Hwinion loosed the arrow smoothly. It flew through the air and arced down towards the boat. Disappointingly, it hit the man's leg. He let out a cry, but kept on rowing.
"Was that at kill?" Asked Codin, struggling to see that far down the river. The elf sighed and frowned.
"No. A wounding blow." He replied, placing his bow on his back and walking away.

Codin began to them pick up the gold pieces on the ground, gathering most of that was stolen from him.
"Have you found your heirloom?" Asked Hwinion, entering the hut to get out of the pouring rain.
"No, sadly." Grimaced Codin.
"Oh. I'm sorry, friend."
"No, it's fine. Now come on, let's head to Goldshire. Get a drink at the Lions Pride. Sound good?" Asked Codin.
"Yes, it does."

The two got up and headed back towards the road. They walked through the rain together in awkward silence, trudging through the muddy forest floor. As they reached the path and began to head west, Codin spoke up to break the uncomfortable pause in conversation.
"So, where are you living now?" He asked.
"In Old Town, next to the Pig and Whistle Tavern." Replied Hwinion, bluntly.
"Oh, the Pig and Whistle, huh? Wild place, right?" Laughed Codin.
"Yes."
There was a long pause.
"Uh huh... So, how do you like living in Stormwind?" He asked.
"It's fine."
"Ok... You know, you're not a lot of fun to talk to" Stated Codin, bluntly.
"That's a shame." Replied Hwinion, with heavy rain cascading down his face, soaking his hair.

A few minutes passed. Codin spoke up again.
"So what did you do before you became a hunter?"
"I was a private bailiff."
"Oh, that sounds exciting. How much did it-?"
"Wait!" Exclaimed Hwinion.
"What?" Asked Codin, puzzled. Hwinion paused to think, the cogs visually turning in his head.
"That man was wearing a purple bandana, correct?"
"Yes?"
"And you're still interested in getting your watch back?"
"Yes, why?!" Replied Codin, a smile growing on his face.
"Well, when I was a bailiff I worked closely with a friend who knew all kinds of things like this. I bet he knows something about that bandana's significance." Explained the elf.
"And where would this chap be?"
"Well, I do remember getting a letter from him, mentioning he was on his way to a place called Booty Bay."
"Booty Bay?" Asked Codin, clear concern in his voice.
"Yes, why?"
"You were a private bailiff and you've never been to Booty Bay?!" Questioned the warrior, surprised.
"No..."
"Well, looks like your about to get one hell of an education."