The Wise One, And The Grumpy One

Prolouge

I hope you like it!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Austin's POV

I am currently loaded down with three boxes of gifts for the residents of Oak Tree Nursing Home. You might be thinking, what would a 17-year-old guy be doing on a beautiful Saturday at a nursing home.

The answer is volunteering. Most of my friends would rather be throwing a football around inside the gym, or swearing at some person in Australia because they just had their care package taken away or was killed or something.

So here I am. Austin Christner, six foot three, jet black hair, and jade green eyes.

I am currently walking with my best friend, Samuel Collins, and Sierra Walters, who was a best friend. Lately, she has been pushing me away.

You see, it all started when I started dating Lexi. Lexi McGee. AKA Sierra’s worst tormentor.

I keep telling myself that she is just scared of Lexi. After all, Lexi has tormented Sierra since she moved here in third grader, all because of her glasses.

“Hey Austin, can you open the door?” Sam asked with a stupid smile. He only had two small bags because he spent FOREVER getting out of the car so he wouldn’t have to do anything.

He’s my best friend, and he’s awesome, but Sam is the laziest person I know.

Luckily, a nurse opened it for us before I had a chance to say something that I would probably regret say at a old folks home.

After sitting our stuff down on a moving table, we put Santa hats on.

You’re probably thinking ‘this kid is screwed up’, but actually, us three and seven other students from Westview High are delivering gifts to the elderly. Many don’t have family or friends that visit, and it can be especially lonely on Christmas.

We got a list from the nurses about a month earlier. On it was a list of every person’s favorite thing. One lady loved sweet pickles, while an elderly gentleman went crazy for rap music (crazy, right?). With the help of the school boosters, we bought every single resident, nurse, doctor, and even janitor a present for Christmas.

Each bag or box had a room number, or staff members’ name on it. It was our job right now to deliver the gifts, help unwrap them if necessary, and make their day a little brighter.

The first bag I grabbed was to room 135, Martha Jenkins. She was the pickles lady and she should be ecstatic because she is the proud owner of two jars of sweet pickles. She was sitting and watching TV when I walked in, so I said Merry Christmas to get her attention. After three ‘Thank you’ and a giant hug from a seventy year old, I went back to the cart.

It took me about an hour to deliver fifteen more bags. Some people were asleep, while others were wide awake and extremely happy to receive a gift.

Just as I went to grab the one of the last two bags, I saw Sierra make her way over. I looked at the tags and noticed that the rooms were right across from each other, rooms 356 and 357.

“Um, thanks.” Sierra stated akwardly as she grabbed the bag. She started walking away and as I followed her, she gave me a confused look.

Before she asked anything, I said, “My room is right across from yours.”

She nodded and kept a pace in front of me.

When we arrived to the rooms, we split away from each other. I read the tag. It was to a Violet Shoemaker. Cool last name.