Chapter 31: Inner Pain (edited)

Start from the beginning

“It's not your fault,” I sighed. "I decided to go with you, didn't I? You didn't make me do anything. I made my choice and like you said, at least I'm still alive.”

“I can't let something like this happen again,” he shook his head and slouched over. His hair covered his face so I couldn't see the expression on his face, but I did see the tears dropping. “I can't risk loosing you again.”

“I'm fine, I'm right here,” I assured him. I didn't know how to comfort him. I don't know how to comfort anyone. I wanted to tell him it was alright, but it wasn't. Nothing will ever be alright if we stay here. “I can get thr--”

“I love you,” he wiped his eyes and looked up at me. “Don't tell me that it's some faze or out of obligation. Don't try to change my mind or make me think I'm crazy. Ever since I first saw you, I've wanted to say that.” He searched my face. I guess he was waiting for an answer, but I didn't know how to respond.

“Okay.”

*

*

Five hours later...

“Alright Mason, I need you to try to sit up,” Dr. Juhan, as he's called, said. “Be careful. You have burn in over 70 percent of your body. I predict that by tomorrow you'll be halfway back to normal,” he smiled reveling a hug gap.

I nodded and tried to move slowly. It was harder than it sounded. The slower I moved the more pain I felt. A part of me thought the doctor was doing this to torture me.

“Ah, ah, ah,” I grimaced. “Okay, I'm up. Now what do I do?”

“Well, I'm going to start removing your bandages,” he said.

“What? Why? I'm not fully healed yet,” I pulled away from him..

“I can tell,” he looked down at the finger I that I peeled the bandage off of. “It seems that someone was curious.” It seemed like someone wants a punch in the face. For the last hour he's been talking to me like I was a child.

“So why am I talking them off?” I furrowed my brows. Is this guy licensed? “You can clearly see that I'm not healed.”

“Of course your not. You have to take them off because it's time to. You'll be fine with them off from now on. Do you understand now?”

I balled my fist, ready to attack him. Then I thought about it and just stuck to clenching my jaw, “okay.”

Most of the bandages were wrapped around my arms and legs. I lifted up my shirt and besides a few scars, it looked normal. I stood still as the door peeled the bandages away. It was a painful process. Anytime his skin came into contact with my own, it felt like an I was getting sunburned over and over again. It was a shame, I lost a good pair of jeans. The had cut them in order to put the bandages on my legs.

“Are you okay?” Myles asked. He hadn't left the room since I sent him out to get me something to drink. At least his wounds were healing as quickly as they should. Now they're only a ghost of what they use to be.

“Yeah, I'm fine,” I said once the doctor took the last of my bandages off. It was worse then I thought. My fingernails were virtually gone. My hands and forearms were covered in blistering red skin. I could say the same for my feet too.

I touched my blistering skin. It felt rough and dry. The pain had mellowed out a little, but not by much. “How much longer until she's completely healed?” Myles asked Doctor Juhan.

“I'd say in about four to five more days,” the doctor gave me a smiled, nodded to Myles, and then left the room. What, no pills?

Myles kept staring at my wounds, it was making me uncomfortable. “Stop looking at me!” I snapped. I felt like I was being showcased.

“Why?” he looked me in the eyes.

“Because you're making me uncomfortable,” I sat back down on the bed. “Just don't look.”

“No,” he replied.

“No! I don't want you to see this. Don't you understand that?!” I got up and ran into the bathroom.

I started pacing at the sink before I got the urge to throw things. I was angry. I was angry at Henry for almost killing me. I was angry at Myles for staring at me. I was even angry at myself for letting this happen. I picked up anything I could find and threw it across the room. I kept throwing things while I sobbed.

“Mason, open the door,” Myles jiggled the handle. “Please come out.”

“For what?” I shouted. “So you can stare at me some more. What? You want to stare at the freak. Tell me how you really feel Myles!”

“Mason please come out,” he jiggled the knob and banged on the door. “Please.”

“No!” I sobbed even more. “I can't win. This is going to kept happening. I don't know why I try,” I said before throwing a comb and knocking a candle onto the floor.

“Mason!” Myles shouted and the banging on the door got louder. “I told you what I thought. I can't change my answer Mason.”

“Shut up! Your lying!” I said through clenched teeth as I paced across the floor. I ran my hand through my hair repeatedly. “Everyone lies eventually.”

“No!” there was one last bang and the door shattered. Wood flew everywhere and I found myself on the floor covering my head.

Once the wood stopped flying I stood and faced Myles. He didn't say anything. He ran up to me and just...hugged me. “I'm not a liar.”

I cried into his shoulder, “I just want to go home.”

“I know,” he stroked my hair. “I know.”

“Isn't this a pretty sight,” Henry strolled into the bathroom. Myles and I both took a few steps back. “You broke my door Myles. Are you going to pay for it?”

Myles stayed silent and stood in front of me.

“I see, “ Henry smirked. “I just came to see the damage,” he chuckled. “We do have a dinner in two days. Now step back Myles.”

Myles stood his ground, “No.”

“What did you just say?” Henry frowned as his eyes grew darker.

“Move boy or I'll move you.”

“Myles,” I grabbed his hand, “it's okay. I'll be fine.”

Myles stepped to the side but not with growling at his father.

“Oh my, this is a lot worst than I thought,” Henry walked forward until he was standing directly in front of me. “Look at you. Ugh! Are your nails missing?” He grabbed my hand roughly and brought them to his face. “Tisk, tisk, tisk...” Henry tapped his chin. “Talia!” Henry shouted making me cringe.

“Yes sir,” she came into the room out of breath, like she'd been running.

“I need you to go find Mason an evening dress with gloves,” he let go of my hand and walked up to Talia. “We don't not need to see blistered hands or legs. You are to find her a really long dress and fitting shoes. No heels. Her feet are just as bad as her hands.”

“I will have to go out and get it,” Talia replied.

“Fine then, take Micah, my driver. You know where I keep the money.”

“Yes sir,” she said before abruptly leaving the room.

“I will see you to at dinner. Please do cover up those blisters. We don't want anyone losing their appetites tonight, do we?” Henry said before leaving the bathroom.