Chapter 4

Safe

Dark.

The immense feeling of complete and utter shock registered before me. I stood in front of him, frozen. My heart raced as I realized how much of a fool my father did. He must've done something again to let his opponents attack this early. He pulled the trigger again and now he's gonna suffer.

Nailayo niya ako sa panganib pero hindi niya nagawang protektahan ang sarili niya. How much of a selfless man is he? Hanggang kailan niya ba iisipin ang iba kaysa sa sarili niya?

He is an honorable man. The kindest of all kinds and a fair man. For six consecutive years he took my grandfather's place as a Mayor. Naging alkalde siya dahil sa pagmamahal niya sa bayan at sa kagustuhang sumunod sa apak ng ama. Hindi ko akalain na matapos mamatay ni Lolo sa isang ambush ay nagawa paring itaya ni Papà ang buhay para sa lahat. Para sa taong umaasa at nanghihingi ng hustisya.

But everybody knows better. Money can control everything. It can buy. It can kill. It can ruin thousands of lives.

I was brought back to present when I was shook by warm and rough hands that enveloped my shoulders. There, I see Dante, standing with his face full of emotions flickering in his eyes, before I could even comprehend it, he already hid it with complete indifference.

"Your father is fine. The bullet didn't hit his heart."

I shook my head in disapproval. "He almost died."

"But he did not die. Trust him, Catalina."

"I trust my father so much, Dante. It's the men behind all these whom I don't trust." I spat at him. Halo-halong emosyon ang dumaan sa akin at napakapit na lamang ako sa island counter para humingi ng suporta. "He is such a very good and fair man, Dante. At iyon ang ikinakatakot ko. Masyado siyang mabait para sa politika. His enemies could kill him right this instant, they just love to play games and riddles. They can kill my Mamà and Kuya." I stopped and instantly pointed myself while gritting my teeth. "They can actually kill me."

I saw how his eyes flash darker than its usual until it returned to normal.

"Under any circumstances, I shall keep you safe, Catalina."

I was surprised by his tone. The venom that he was trying to hide becoming obvious as he gritted his teeth. Hindi ko man magawang pagkatiwalaan ang sarili ko para sa kaligtasan sa sarili, alam ko sa sarili ko na kayang kaya niya akong protektahan.

"Si Mamà? May balita ba sa kaniya?"

Dante grabbed a glass full of water and handed it to me.

"Your mom's fine. She was just enraged because of what happened to your father but she's doing fine. Matapos ang insidente ay mabilis na inilayo ng kapatid mo ang iyong ina."

"Pwede ko bang puntahan si Papà?" I ask without breaking eye contact. His eyes managed to divert its attention away as he shook his head in disagreement. "But,"

He shakes his head again stopping me from whatever I plan on saying.

"No. Mahigpit na pinag-uutos ng ama mo na hindi ka palalabasin dito until it's safe outside."

I never understood how unfair fate could be. It was a bittersweet life.

Napasinghap ako nang maramdaman ko ang kaniyang kamay sa magkabilang balikat ko. He was trying so hard to be as gentle as possible as he held me in a warm, tight hug. It was calming, almost impossible for me to think how dangerous he is as a man. He brings me warmth and comfort as he pulled me closer.

Safe. I am safe. I feel safe in his arms.

Sumikip ang dibdib ko habang iniisip ang kalagayan ng pamilya. I thought of every possible way how to get them safe and sound, away from harm and danger that keeps on seeking to us.

No words were spoken, the volume of our joined bodies were more powerful. His touch was soothing and I could feel his own heartbeat thumped with mine. Fast. Loud. Clear, as I pressed my ears on his hard chest. His cologne filling my nostrils, it was a smell of citrus. He smelt too good for a dangerous man like him, but he was too unpredictable for a woman like me. One thing is for sure, if only I could stop time, I would've done it and stay like this forever.

We stayed in that position for a while until we heard a muffled sound coming from the outside of the kitchen and then a cough. I intend to let go when Dante held me closer and tighter for a few more seconds. One. Two. Three... And then I felt him sniff my neck and hair. Ten seconds and he was like that, as if addicted by the smell that beheld before him. And God knows how much I liked his scent, too. Addictive and dangerously hot, like wild lava coming out from a volcano.

Feeling him move away a little, the distance made me want to run into him and just hug him again but I urged myself to stay calm and composed as I looked behind me with burning cheeks. There, I saw Cain standing with his hands in his pockets. He was staring intently at us before taking a step forward.

"Kanina ka pa?" Tanong ko sa mahinang boses.

Umiling si Cain at bumaling kay Dante, ang kaniyang mga mata ay seryoso. Nakaramdam ako ng tensyon ngunit hindi iyon pinahalata. Both men standing with power in their hands. Nakita ko kung paano mabilis na nagbago ang ekspresyon sa mukha ni Dante habang nakatingin kay Cain.

"Mali." Cain muttered under his breath but I heard it. I saw his mouth moved and I knew exactly that Dante heard it, too when he reeled forward, his body hit my back, challenging Cain to take another step. He only growled and stumped away the kitchen.

I was left dumbfounded, disoriented at the sudden actions.

Dante

I lurched forward, not realizing that I was behind the small frame of Catalina who stood still when I hit her back. Cain was trying to take control over the situation but I'm not going to let him. Even the slightest.

I know what he was trying to say. Mali ang ginawa ko. Mali ang ginagawa ko. At maling-mali ang gagawin ko pa lang. Because he knew too well that the woman standing in front of me was the woman I've been waiting for years. The woman I've been longing to touch. My heated gaze returned to Catalina who was now facing me. Cain left after shaking his head in disagreement. He knew right then and there, when father called him and told him that Catalina was here, I'm going to lose it. Babagsak at babagsak ako sa aking tuhod at sasambahin ang babaeng kailanman ay hindi magiging akin. The woman who was meant for someone else. The woman who was promised to another man.

But I am a selfish beast especially now that I've got her, in my very house. Catalina is under the lair of the wildest beast.

Truly, love blinds us until we can no longer see the difference between right and wrong. Ngunit sisiguruhin ko na ang maling pinasukan ko ay magiging tama sa itinakdang panahon.